Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine wants to back up everything

I have just purchased an external hard drive, connected it to my Mac and used Carbon Copy Cloner to create a complete bootable copy of my entire internal hard drive. I then switched on Time Machine, which began to back up my hard drive and told me that it would take about 3 hours to do so.

1. I understood that Time Machine would only back up any changes that I have made since creating the copy of my internal HD. Why is it trying to back up the whole?

2. I do not keep my computer running except when I am actually using it. I also do not wish to have my external HD running every time I start up my computer, because I wish to minimize the risk of the external HD deteriorating and eventually failing with time. What will Time Machine do in these circumstances?

3. I understand that Time Machine will keep earlier versions of my backed-up HD as well as the latest version. If my internal HD should fail and I should have to use the external drive to boot up my computer, which of the saved versions will be available for booting up?

Thank you in anticipation of replies to these three questions.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), null

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 9:42 AM

If this is the 1st Time Machine backup, then it will back up the entire hard drive. Subsequent backups will only backup what has changed. What you are seeing is normal.

When you reconnect the external, Time Machine will resume backing up or you can select Backup Now from the menu bar if you want to disconnect the drive as soon as possible.

You would boot off of the Carbon Copy Cloner backup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2015 9:42 AM in response to Michael Graubart

If this is the 1st Time Machine backup, then it will back up the entire hard drive. Subsequent backups will only backup what has changed. What you are seeing is normal.

When you reconnect the external, Time Machine will resume backing up or you can select Backup Now from the menu bar if you want to disconnect the drive as soon as possible.

You would boot off of the Carbon Copy Cloner backup.

Sep 5, 2015 9:51 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks very much, Eric Root. I got confused, because, having used CCC to create the bootable startup disk in one partition of the external drive, I set Time Machine to update that same partition, thinking it would just update any changes. What it actually did was to start all over again. I think I have now sorted it out: I am now recreating the CCC startup disk in one partition and letting Time Machine create a backup in the other.

Time Machine wants to back up everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.