Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change name of hard disk not partition

Hello,

I did a factory reinstall on my macbook pro 2015 13 retina display.

I deleted the hard disk and the partition then I installed yosemite.

When everything was done i went to disk utility and found out that the hard disk and partition was named untitled. I was able to change the partition to Macintosh HD.

How can I change the hard disk name ?

Someone told me to reinstall again. Will that help ?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 2:30 AM

15 replies

Oct 11, 2015 8:25 PM in response to DavidM108

OLD NEW

diskutil cs rename "Untitled" "Macintosh HD"

Is the "cs" supposed to be in there? Looking at the man page for diskutil, it appears to me that it should be:

diskutil rename "Untitled" "Macintosh HD"

or equivalently (?)

diskutil renameVolume "Untitled" "Macintosh HD"

I have a blank external drive that I will try it on sometime in the next few days. I will report back after that.

(I am on Mountain Lion; the man page is dated 19 February 2013; I get the man page by running the following in terminal:

man diskutil

Yesterday I was running the GUI disk utility under Lion. Difficult to believe changing disk name can't be done with the GUI. I had two drives that had the same name but I didn't notice until I was I was in the middle of formatting and then I got real nervous about which one was I modifying! After that I decided no more fiddling until I could the new one a unique name.)

Dec 29, 2015 12:33 PM in response to Bob R Oregon

Bob R Oregon wrote:

OLD NEW

diskutil cs rename "Untitled" "Macintosh HD"

Is the "cs" supposed to be in there? Looking at the man page for diskutil, it appears to me that it should be:

diskutil rename "Untitled" "Macintosh HD"

or equivalently (?)

diskutil renameVolume "Untitled" "Macintosh HD"

Very late answer, but this is also one of the few postings that discusses CoreStorage and Fusion drives.... So....

It's correct.

The "diskutil cs" is shorthand for "diskutil coreStorage", and it's part of the command that's necessary for Fusion drives and various sorts of encrypted volumes; for volumes that are using CoreStorage.

The diskutil cs (or diskutil coreStorage) syntax is not used for various other types of disk volumes; for non-cs volumes.

change name of hard disk not partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.