Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access Time Capsule 3TB hard drive from windows 8

Hi,

I would like to access the hard drive of my 2015-model time capsule 3TB from a windows 8 laptop. I've seen different ways on older windows and time capsules, but I thought that there might be an easy (easier?) way nowadays?

Thanks - Mikael

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2015 12:29 AM

Entering the IP address of your Time Capsule is about as as easy as it gets.

Open Windows Explorer

Type in the following.....

\\TimeCapsuleIPAddress

So, for example if the IP address of your Time Capsule is 192.168.1.10, you would type in \\192.168.1.10 and press Enter

4 replies

Sep 9, 2015 7:58 AM in response to M_i_B

To windows the Time Capsule disk is NT server.. which uses FAT32.. there is the usual 4GB issue.. which is purely windows. The disk is NOT formatted FAT32 and can handle files up to the size of the disk.. However windows is unable to gain that value from it.

Still if you use a standard backup software in windows it will happily work with FAT32 over network.. and simply split the backup into 4GB segments.

Sep 9, 2015 8:10 AM in response to M_i_B

Well, actually, the correct way of doing this is to connect the Time Capsule by

\\ip-adress\shared-drive-name

which normally is something like

\\10.0.1.1\data

Then Windows will prompt you to log on. The user name is irrelevant, but you must write something there. Anything. It doesn't matter what. The password is your wireless network password.

Have a look at http://wpguru.co.uk/2014/09/what-are-the-credentials-to-your-airport-time-capsul e/ for more info.

Access Time Capsule 3TB hard drive from windows 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.