Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

left click not working on mac book pro track pad

My left click on my mac book pro track bad is not working.

Everything else about the trackpad works fine, eg. scrolling, two finger right click, etc

The strangest thing is the left click works on some programs but not on others. It works fine when I'm in safari, but not when I'm clicking on files in finder. Left click and drag is also not working on finder, but does work when on desk top. So strange?

I have disabled blue tooth, this intact brought back my click and drag ability on the desktop, but that was it.

My battery does need replacing, but the fact that I have left click ability on some programs but not others leads me to think its not to do with battery swell.

I have checked all my track pad settings and they are as they should be.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Sam.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 6:03 AM

1 reply

Sep 6, 2015 12:15 PM in response to samlv1984

Hey samlv1984,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, the trackpad left click works sometimes but not others. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

It may be a startup or login item that is causing this to happen sometimes. Safe mode disables many things so we can narrow the cause.

OS X Yosemite: Start up in safe mode

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a good one

left click not working on mac book pro track pad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.