Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I run a risk if I don't upgrade my MacBook Pro OS X 10.9.5 to Yosemite ? thank you

Do I run a risk if I don't upgrade my MacBook Pro OS X 10.9.5 to Yosemite ? Thank you.

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 4:17 AM

6 replies

Sep 5, 2015 8:15 AM in response to mmie

mmie wrote:

Do I run a risk if I don't upgrade my MacBook Pro OS X 10.9.5 to Yosemite ? Thank you.

Just invert your question. Put it like this...

Do I run a risk if I upgrade my MacBook Pro OS X 10.9.5 to Yosemite ?

In this case the answer is “YES”. I don’t think so anyone out here will debate on OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks being a much stable OS X than OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite. Just stay with Mavericks and keep yourself away from the Yosemite headache until OS X 10.11 El Capitan is released.

Good luck...🙂

Sep 5, 2015 8:15 AM in response to mmie

mmie wrote:

Updates generally include security updates so, yes, you may leave yourself open to vulnerabilities that have been fixed by subsequent updates. As dominic23 advised, back up before upgrading (back up regularly!). I've been running Mavericks since the day it was released. No issues. And my MBA is now about 4 years old.

Sep 5, 2015 6:59 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

As dominic23 advised, back up before upgrading (back up regularly!). I've been running Mavericks since the day it was released. No issues. And my MBA is now about 4 years old.

If you say that, you haven’t come across any problem running Mavericks then why on earth are you suggesting him to backup his mac for a Yosemite upgrade...?? 🙂

Mavericks is by far a stable OS X than Yosemite if he keeps his security updates up to date.

Sep 5, 2015 7:08 AM in response to Grane Duke

Grane Duke wrote:

Meg St._Clair wrote:

As dominic23 advised, back up before upgrading (back up regularly!). I've been running Mavericks since the day it was released. No issues. And my MBA is now about 4 years old.

If you say that, you haven’t come across any problem running Mavericks then why on earth are you suggesting him to backup his mac for a Yosemite upgrade...?? 🙂

Because you should always be sure to have an up-to-date back up at all times. As some people don't get around to doing that, they should at least do it before a major update. Things can go wrong during updates (e.g. power outage in the middle).

If I suggest you wear a seatbelt when you ride in my Honda Fit, it doesn't mean that I'm telling you that I'm a bad driver (I'm not) or that my car is inherently dangerous (it's not). It just means I'm advising a reasonable level of caution in the event something outside of my control happens.

How do you propose keeping up with security updates without updating the system software? That's how Apple releases security updates.

I've seen nothing unstable about Yosemite. Not on my machine or any of the other I support.

Sep 5, 2015 4:41 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

Because you should always be sure to have an up-to-date back up at all times. As some people don't get around to doing that, they should at least do it before a major update. Things can go wrong during updates (e.g. power outage in the middle).

Its always better to take an up to date time machine backup of the files. I agree with this point of yours but at this point of time the OP doesn’t need to upgrade to Yosemite. Haven’t you seen the Yosemite section of this forum filled with endless bad reviews about Yosemite...?

Meg St._Clair wrote:

How do you propose keeping up with security updates without updating the system software? That's how Apple releases security updates.

System software consists of Operating system OS, which in OP’s case is Mac OS X 10.9.5 final Mavericks version. I am only proposing him to keep his OS X security updates up to date. For your kind information, Apple still at this point of time releases Mavericks security updates, iTunes and Safari updates.

Meg St._Clair wrote:

I've seen nothing unstable about Yosemite. Not on my machine or any of the other I support.

You must be one of the few lucky ones to run Yosemite without any issues.

Long story short, I would suggest the OP to stay away from Yosemite until El Capitan is released this fall.

Do I run a risk if I don't upgrade my MacBook Pro OS X 10.9.5 to Yosemite ? thank you

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.