Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro can't start up properly

Hi, this has been coming over the last few days where I've seen some sporadic display glitches on startup, but eventually managed to start up ok in the end. Now, I can no longer start up and am seeing a slightly broken display, with horizontal lines across the screen. I am prompted to login to start up, but then the progress bar gets stuck at about 30% or so. I tried starting up via CMD + R and this leads to a blue screen after getting to around the same point in the progress bar. I've run start up in verbose mode there, so here's some s/shots of what's being output - grateful for any help debugging this!

Get stuck here:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 8:20 AM

1 reply

Sep 5, 2015 8:34 AM in response to scunnercampbell

If you can't start up in Recovery mode, you're dealing with a hardware fault.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

MacBook Pro can't start up properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.