Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netgear Switch

Hi all

I think I should start this by saying that I'm not overly technical - I know a bit but not enough to solve things easily so please bear with me!

I am having an issue in changing over my BT homehub from a 4 to a 5 ready for infinity.

Our set up is such that the homehub is connected to a Netgear GS724Tv4 switch which in turns send our connectivity around the house via ethernet cables. These then have TPLinks connected to them to make sure that we can get wireless all over the house.

My issue is that on changing the homehub 4 to a 5 my Netgear switch clearly needs some kind of update to the details of the homehub which has a new name and password so that it can pass the connectivity into the switch and on to the other TP Links.

However, I have no idea how to access the Netgear switch details via the web management interface. I found a good article here http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24679

but as yet I cannot connect. I have looked on my mac settings to find that the IP address should be 192.168.0.239 but that doesn't load anything up for me.

It feels like I'm nearly there but with nothing other than apples in the house I cannot try downloading the SmartWizard Discovery Setup as I think this is windows only.

Some help, any help that anyone can point me towards would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Tim

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 6:47 AM

6 replies

Sep 5, 2015 3:10 PM in response to theculverhouses

My issue is that on changing the homehub 4 to a 5 my Netgear switch clearly needs some kind of update to the details of the homehub which has a new name and password so that it can pass the connectivity into the switch and on to the other TP Links.

That is really not the case..

The switch is not going to deal with anything but IP addresses.. and should work fine unless it has been setup with vlan and the like.

Does the HH5 have the same IP address and DHCP range as the HH4?

Did you set a static IP on the switch? If it is dhcp it should simply follow the IP of the main router and will pick up an address from the HH5.

I have looked on my mac settings to find that the IP address should be 192.168.0.239 but that doesn't load anything up for me.

Is the Mac computer.. (MAC address and Mac computer being confusing).

IP address correct for the subnet of the switch.

I do run a D-Link managed switch.. it has a fixed IP in the range 192.168.2.x therefore for a computer to access the switch it must be on the same IP subnet.. if not please set a manual IP on the computer.

If that fails.. tell me how you are finding the IP.. ie this should be via dhcp table from the HH5.

Sep 6, 2015 2:16 PM in response to LaPastenague

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to respond to me... it's very generous of you. I am quite straight forward though and lots of things in your response I don't understand so I've tried my best today to work them out so I can get there.

Thank you for informing me that I don't need to do anything on the switch - that's a relief.

I don't know how to check if the HH5 and HH4 have the same IP address and DHCP range.

Looking on the HH5 setup it says the IP address is 192.168.1.254 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. DHCP is enabled and the range is 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253

On my HH4 it says the IP address is 192.168.1.254 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. DHCP is enabled again and the range is 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253

That would therefore seem that everything is the same wouldn't it or am I checking the wrong thing?

Your help so far has been really appreciated and I take your point that the Mac and MAC is further confusion!

I'd be grateful if you can spare the time to let me know your thoughts?

Thanks in advance -- Tim

Sep 8, 2015 12:21 PM in response to theculverhouses

That would therefore seem that everything is the same wouldn't it or am I checking the wrong thing?

You are doing it exactly right..

Most big companies will release products that keep identical setups.. it is too costly to retrain their technicians who get stuck solving the issues.

I don't think you will therefore have any need to change anything.. except to reboot the entire network.. restart in correct order.

HH5.. wait 2min. Switch.. wait 1min.. TP-Link APs.. wait 2min. Client devices.. can now be started.

Everything should work now as long as you did not use dhcp reservations in the HH4. If you did.. then you should note them down.. before you put the HH5 in place and reproduce them exactly in the new setup.

If you run into problems accessing the switch should be easy enough.. assuming it is using fixed IP.. or dhcp.. either way you can find it via ARP or DHCP tables in the HH5.. or simply keep the network simple as you can..

HH5--Switch--one computer plugged in by ethernet .. after a restart.. nothing else plugged in or wireless.

On the computer do a ping discovery of the network.

This is easy in Mac using terminal.. and a trick..

Ping the broadcast address.. in your network this is 192.168.1.255

Let me show you what happens.. in my setup.. I use 192.168.2.x so I ping the broadcast address.

ping 192.168.2.255

PING 192.168.2.255 (192.168.2.255): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.2.203: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.054 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.201: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=1.091 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.230: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=1.850 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.204: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=90.605 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.35: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=146.128 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.203: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.113 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.201: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=3.659 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.230: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=4.959 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.35: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=9.685 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.204: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=341.218 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.203: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.060 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.201: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1.021 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.230: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1.720 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.35: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=6.933 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.204: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=293.642 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.203: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.065 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.201: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=3.903 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.230: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=4.590 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.35: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=9.675 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.204: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=158.245 ms

^C

This will carry on forever.. so use Control + C to stop it.

All the active IP on the network should respond.

Although I notice my switch is missing.. just to prove me wrong. If I power cycled the switch on it should become active.

I can generally achieve it via ping.. direct to the address which is fixed.

Any modern switch should allow access via web page.. but it might need specific browser.. I cannot use chrome with this switch .. I can do it with safari.

User uploaded file

Sep 6, 2015 3:03 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks again - I feel so happy you're spending time trying to help me and again apologies as more stuff you've put I feel like I should know but I really don't - where do you go to learn this stuff???!!

When you say reboot the switch, how do I do that, press reset (it's got a hole to pop a paperclip into.... or just turn it off at the socket?). The TP Links fine, get it but what are client devices?

What are DCHP reservations in HH4 and how can I check if I have used them. We are in a new build that our electrician set up all this for us but no instructions on what we have nor how to change it. I will note them down if I need to but don't know how to check if they're in place.

I think the switch is using DCHP. I use apples but borrowed a laptop PC to check Smart Discovery Wizard and installed the netgear management software which meant I could see it was set to DCHP so does that mean that each time it connects it changes it's IP address??

I'm happy to use terminal but how do I ping the network - how do you know its 192.168.1.255?

I'll be honest but I feel so stupid - this is all so technical but I don't want to ask someone to come and fix it as it'll be too expensive. I'm back on the HH4 working but with our infinity from BT apparently available I don't want to just not connect the HH5 but also it's not a solution forever is it!

Thanks again.

Tim

Sep 8, 2015 12:20 PM in response to theculverhouses

where do you go to learn this stuff???!!

30 years of network and computer installations. 😁

And if you are still sane at the end of it and now that your knees are buggered from crawling under people's tables through the 1" of dust because they never vacuum.. you spend the last years of your life telling other people how to do it. 😉

If you are interested go to your local tech college for a short course.. or for older people.. computers and networks for dummies and people who grew up without electricity. A course will give you quick up to speed you can never get reading what is a foreign language. even if you start with primary readers.

So decide which way you will go.. think of network-computer problems like the washing machine..

The washing machine breaks down.. do you buy the manual and strip it down.. find the faulty part.. order it.. replace it and rebuild the machine..

or do you call the washing machine repairman. Since learning to do all of the above is pointless and more expensive than getting the repair man to do it.

this is all so technical but I don't want to ask someone to come and fix it as it'll be too expensive.

Netwoking is like that.. you are not stupid.. people try to suggest this is easy.. Bill and Steve (Gates and Jobs) have given you a line .. and as long as you stick to a very narrow line it is ok.. as soon as you start with any major network install it is well beyond what they are telling you.

Just like fixing the washing machine.. if you spend the time to learn it. And have repaired 5000 of them.. and are now able to do the job with your eyes shut conducting a conversation with owner about the latest cricket match.

The big LIE.. is that networking is easy.. it isn't.. it is simplified down to pretty easy to use home equipment.. but people do degrees on this stuff. IMHO.. it is worth it getting a tech in to do or help with the setup. And maintain the relationship so when things go wrong.. which is inevitable.. you have someone to call.. who has a magnet on your fridge.

When you say reboot the switch,

Sorry I mix the terms.. reboot = restart.. routers and modems and switches are intelligent devices.. they have a complete Operating System in them.. So just like a computer they are booted.. some devices don't have power switches.. they just turn off.. via the power point or pull the cord.. others have switches.. to be used occasionally.

how do I do that, press reset (it's got a hole to pop a paperclip into

No.. reset means changing something to remove its configuration.. it is like wiping the hard disk on your computer. Reset is serious and only done when bits misbehave.

Restart = reboot = pull out the power. Count to 10 .. plug in the power. (Alway have a gap between on and off and on.. 10sec is min).

Reset = poke a pin through the hole.. and wait for the lights to go crazy.. and everything to return to a factory released condition.

but what are client devices?

Network consists of host device.. modem, router switches, servers??.. they host the network.

Clients are computers, iphones, ipads, ipods, gaming stations, the fridge, the TV, light switch.. etc .. all the junk in the house that uses internet or network.. but doesn't contribute to it.. ie turn off any of these devices and the network still runs fine.. they are therefore clients and not hosts.

Sorry that is a term you will need to get used to. It is important to understand a bit of the lingo.

What are DCHP reservations in HH4 and how can I check if I have used them.

That is a google one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

Manuals are essential.. You need to read them.. which I know is hard work when you don't understand the jargon.. so you need to determine. are you going to buy help getting the computer tech in. Or are you going to learn how to strip down the washing machine??

http://setuprouter.com/router/bt/home-hub-4/manual-999.pdf

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9011/~/how-do-i-change-the-dhcp-s ettings-of-the-bt-home-hub%3F

It is usually best to google a whole item.. so the manual above is designed for the person who knows next to nothing.. so it shows how to plug things in.. not a real users manual which tells you everything a router does..

Search home hub 4 dhcp reservations..

When I tried it I get very little help.. except for earlier models.. so some things you just put out of your head... I suspect you never setup dhcp reservations because you have never heard of it.. and no information is available about it.

I think the switch is using DCHP. I use apples but borrowed a laptop PC to check Smart Discovery Wizard and installed the netgear management software which meant I could see it was set to DCHP so does that mean that each time it connects it changes it's IP address??

Your switch is much more complicated than required. It is more like pro gear where people do need to know what they are looking at.

I think you can assume the switch is working.. and if you get lost.. even reading the manual on this one won't help. For this one.. call a tech who has enough networking to not be fazed by large managed switch. This is the switch used by a SME (small to medium size business). It is decidedly not HOME. Excellent stuff.. but a little more than needed.

The rest of the stuff is obviously too complicated.. and I am sorry to not pitch it to the right level.

My advice is to put in the HH5 when you get the new fibre service.. The Tech who installs it will configure at least the HH5.. and the rest of the network will be up to you... If I am misunderstanding where you are up to.. please do make it clear..

I am retired.. I am happy to spend the time..

pictures and screenshots help no end when you get lost.

And you can email me direct.. the email is in the profile.. roll your mouse over my name.

Sep 8, 2015 12:20 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you so much for your time and patience, sorry for the radio silence the last few days. I've now implemented the changes and restarted everything anf having reintroduced the HH5 to the system it is behaving and importantly working.

I have also purchased on iTunes, iNet which scans the network, tells me the IP addresses and has helped me to put things onto static IP addresses instead rather than the moveable ones. I'm finding that I could also change the security settings and whilst all of this has been slow and painful at times it's rewarding too.

Totally get your analogy of the washing machine, I'm an accountant so know that I see enough people trying to do their own stuff and get it wrong to get an expert in, if this hadn't worked it was going to be back to the guy that installed it to help me out. However, interesting to read your point about the switch and its capabilities, it looks a massive industrial sized piece of kit so I suppose at some point something a little smaller may be required but for now I'm loathed to upset the system!

Having got the HH5 in, I've now checked the speed and it's not improved. Having spoken to BT it would appear however that this is due to an admin error their side (I know who'd have thought it of BT hey!) rather than us not getting it via the fibre. At least now though the network is working, the HH5 is in and ready to receive it once they provide it in approximately 10 days time.

Once again I must say thank you to you for your help, I may well look at the courses on it, whilst it's infuriating it's also quite intriguing to get this sort of stuff working although I must admit learning DCHP, SSID and IP addresses has been quite a challenge - and to be honest I was born in the 80s so I thought I would find this easy! Just shows me.

Much obliged and if you ever have an accounting question, I'm sure there's a forum for that that I can help on..... be terribly grey and with no emoticons though I imagine.

Best wishes

Tim

Netgear Switch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.