Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Pro 17 makes a constant fax modem sound. Is there a fix? I took it to a repair shop and they couldn't do anything about it.

My Macbook Pro 17 makes a constant fax modem sound. Is there a fix? I took it to a repair shop and they couldn't do anything about it.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 8:43 AM

5 replies

Sep 5, 2015 9:27 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

That is indeed the sound of a modem making a successful connection, starting with some touch tones to dial the number.

every modem that auto-answers will produce a 2100Hz tone early-on, which notifies echo-cancellation circuitry in the telephone network it should back off and disable itself for this call. The rest of that recording depends on making a successful connection and having the other device talk back.

¿are you getting touch tones, only the 2100Hz tone, or an entire connection sequence?

edited to correct the answer back tone frequency should be 2100Hz.

Sep 5, 2015 9:32 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

The tech didn't know what could be causing the sound. He did some research and found that several people have had the same problem, but no solution has been found. The sound to which you linked is very similar to what I am hearing, although my sounds are a little crisper. After about an hour they stop, but then may resume indeterminately. I'm wondering if this could be a sound file that has been sneaked into the system. He tested the fans and ruled them out. Besides, the machine doesn't appear to be getting hot. Thanks for your thoughts on this. It's really bizarre.

Sep 5, 2015 10:18 AM in response to joseph ffromtn

It sure is bizarre. you could try resetting the smc and zapping the pram, or going to audio MIDI and messing around with the sound quality. Maybe something got stuck in the headphone jack? I can tell you how to zap the pram, but resetting the smc isn't too hard and you can find it yourself ...

zaoping the pram-restart computer, hold down cloverleaf, option, P and R keys for 3 bongs then release and let go of all keys and let computer start up normally

that's all I have for now

JB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.