Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Typing in Search box on iTunes switches to Menu bar

I am trying to put together a Playlist and I'm using the Search box in iTunes to search for specific songs in my local music library. However, I am frustrated when I type "e" or "c" or "h", etc., the cursor jumps to Edit or Controls or Help, respectively, on the Menu bar (File, Edit, View, Controls, Store, Help) and I must grab my mouse and click back into the Search box.

I am using Windows 7 and iTunes 12.2.2.25, 64-bit. I am NOT holding down CTL, or ALT, or Shift. I have checked my Windows settings and do not see anything unusual, plus, this only happens in the iTunes application. Has anyone else encountered this? Is it iTunes bug? Is there a fix?

Windows 7

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 9:09 AM

1 reply

Sep 6, 2015 9:17 AM in response to Community User

Greetings Whippetcat,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that the search bar in iTunes isn’t functioning the way you would expect on your Windows computer. In this situation, because this behavior only occurs in iTunes, it may be necessary to completely uninstall iTunes and all of its components in the correct order and then reinstall iTunes fresh. For information on how to complete this process, please follow the steps located in the attached article below.

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 - Apple Support

Remove iTunes as well as its related components from the Control Panel

Use the Control Panel to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order:

1. iTunes
  2. Apple Software Update
  3. Apple Mobile Device Support
  4. Bonjour
  5. Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later). On some systems, iTunes might install two versions of Apple Application Support. This is expected. If both are present, be sure to uninstall both versions.

Don't uninstall these components in a different order, or only uninstall some of them. Doing so might have unintended effects.

Cheers

Typing in Search box on iTunes switches to Menu bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.