Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stealth Mode networking ?

I have enabled Stealthmode, but when i ping my machine i still get a response. Using OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 ?

Tried disable and enabling it again, still respons back from the machine.

Mac mini, OS X Server, Server 4.x

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 8:18 AM

4 replies

Sep 5, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Patrick Savelberg (Private)

You're probably running a server here, based on the forum where this is posted. Servers have open network ports, or they're not much good as servers. Blocking ICMP traffic — "stealth" — makes networking problems harder to debug, and it's far from certain that "stealth" will do what you intend here as a host can generally be spotted through some other open port and active service, and variously also spotted via routing-level traffic. The botnets try anything — ICMP, sniffing open ports via syn scans, brute-force port access attempts, whatever. ICMP traffic is also used by web content caching and content delivery network providers, to establish locality.

Stealth Mode networking ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.