Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID not reading my fingerprint after being reset

Hello everyone. I have a 128 gigabyte Apple iPad Mini 3 that I have owned for five months and in that time, I have had to reset the Touch ID once. Since I reset it, I have noticed it malfunctioning again. I am using my thumb, which is one of the fingers I programmed the Touch ID to scan. When I use another finger I added to Touch ID, it detects it and unlocks the device. Each time I have recently used my thumb to unlock the device, it will not even recognize that my thumb is on the Touch ID fingerprint scanner. Am I not pressing my thumb down enough for the scanner to read my thumbpeint, or could there be a problem with the Touch ID on my device? Everything else on my iPad Mini 3 works just fine.

iPad Mini, iOS 8.3

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 7:51 AM

1 reply

Sep 6, 2015 8:01 AM in response to calliekuczek

Greetings calliekuczek,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like Touch ID is not reading one of the fingerprints. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Get help with Touch ID

Sometimes, you'll need to enter your passcode or Apple ID instead of using Touch ID:

• If you've just restarted your device
  • If your fingerprint isn't recognized five times in a row
  • If you haven't unlocked your device in more than 48 hours

• If you've just enrolled or deleted fingerprints
  • If you're trying to open Touch ID & Passcode in the Settings menu
  • If Require Password is set to Immediately under Settings > General > Restrictions

If you still need help, follow these steps. Try again after each step:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of iOS.
  2. Make sure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry. For the Home button, use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe off any dirt or debris.
  3. Your finger should cover the Home button completely, touching the surrounding metal ring. While Touch ID is scanning, you shouldn't press down hard, tap too quickly, or move your finger around.
  4. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring.
  5. Tap Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. Make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on, and that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  6. Try enrolling a different finger.
  7. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.
Take care

Touch ID not reading my fingerprint after being reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.