Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can attach a file from my desktop to an email using finder

Hello,
Please can somebody help me?
I am trying to attach a word/excel document to an email, when I click the paperclip it takes me to finder. I select Desktop as that is where I put the files I want to attach. So i get the spiny thing then it stops and no files in the list. They are clearly visible on my desktop just not showing up in Finder? What can I do?

I am using a Mac Book Pro 13-inch, Mid 2012. Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F1112)

Please help.
Thanks

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011)

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 8:55 AM

when I click the paperclip it takes me to finder

That is not actually Finder, but a standard file selection dialog box used inside many Applications, including Mail. The name in the home position of the menuBar will indicate you are still inside Mail.

So i get the spiny thing then it stops and no files in the list.

It is possible (but not common) that the permissions for the desktop are not correct.

It is also possible that the View you have selected (especially Icon view) does not have any icons in view in the default position. If this is the case, either scroll the window until files appear, or select List View by its Icon (second from left with four horizontal lines) in the top line of the dialog box, and files should appear.

If you have over 100 Icons "loose" on the desktop, your entire Mac may be slow (perhaps why you see the beachball). The solution for this is to create one or more folder(s) on the desktop and place similar types of files or projects together in a folder; or create a similar folder inside the 'documents' folder.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2015 8:55 AM in response to macburson4

when I click the paperclip it takes me to finder

That is not actually Finder, but a standard file selection dialog box used inside many Applications, including Mail. The name in the home position of the menuBar will indicate you are still inside Mail.

So i get the spiny thing then it stops and no files in the list.

It is possible (but not common) that the permissions for the desktop are not correct.

It is also possible that the View you have selected (especially Icon view) does not have any icons in view in the default position. If this is the case, either scroll the window until files appear, or select List View by its Icon (second from left with four horizontal lines) in the top line of the dialog box, and files should appear.

If you have over 100 Icons "loose" on the desktop, your entire Mac may be slow (perhaps why you see the beachball). The solution for this is to create one or more folder(s) on the desktop and place similar types of files or projects together in a folder; or create a similar folder inside the 'documents' folder.

Sep 8, 2015 2:20 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hello,

I am still having the same issue? Tried to attach an excel file to an email just now, click on paperclip takes he to the page where I would normally select my file and attach. I can not see any files, they are not hidden there is no scroll bar on the right hand side. There a spinny thing in the bottom left hand corner that is spinning all the time, when I click on the location i.e. downloads I get the umbrella spinny thing too. Just totally stuck!
Hope you can help.
Thanks

Sep 8, 2015 9:47 AM in response to macburson4

Mac OS X uses all available memory, by design. But in most cases, it can free up memory occupied by cached items instantly, and provide free memory for requests made by Applications.

Activity Monitor: Determine if your Mac could use more RAM

As the article says, the graph should be green, and swap used should be minimal.

You can Quit unused Applications to free more memory for now. (not just close Application windows, but Quit the Application).

Closing excessive Safari windows will also help.

Can attach a file from my desktop to an email using finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.