Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I format HDDs for my Mac?

I have succeeded in saving onto my new Mac material originally saved from a PC on an HDD formatted to FAT32. How do I now reformat the same HDD so I can transfer the material back onto it from my Mac. So far I seem to have managed to transfer the original folders but not the files they contained. Any guidance will be very helpful.

IMAC (27-INCH, LATE 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2015 10:06 AM

Greetings Michael,

For maximum compatibility with your iMac, I suggest that you reformat this hard drive in Mac OS Extended (journaled) format. This can be done using the Disk Utility application, found in /Applications/Utilities.

Note that reformatting the disk will cause it to be erased. All data currently on the disk WILL BE LOST. If you have anything on there that you need, back it up elsewhere first.

This article explains how to erase the disk - Disk Utility 12.x: Erase a disk, CD, or DVD

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Be well.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2015 10:06 AM in response to MichaelCobham

Greetings Michael,

For maximum compatibility with your iMac, I suggest that you reformat this hard drive in Mac OS Extended (journaled) format. This can be done using the Disk Utility application, found in /Applications/Utilities.

Note that reformatting the disk will cause it to be erased. All data currently on the disk WILL BE LOST. If you have anything on there that you need, back it up elsewhere first.

This article explains how to erase the disk - Disk Utility 12.x: Erase a disk, CD, or DVD

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Be well.

Sep 6, 2015 10:13 AM in response to AppleJoe

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Joe - here's a related query you may be able to help me with. I've just transferred from a tape based camcorder to one recoding onto SD cards. If I want to back up my day's filming and I copy the files across from the card to my laptop, how do I copy the next day's shooting without having to recopy everything else on the card as well? I have a lot to learn - thanks for any help you can give. Michael

Sep 7, 2015 10:07 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric. Finder can see the SD Card in my MacBook card slot - and when clicked offers 2 folders DCIM and PRIVATE. 'Private' reveals a single file named AVCHD which generates a display named WINDOW in which appear all the test movie files I have been making. From this 'Window' I can play each of these individual files but I cannot move them or copy them individually. The only option open to me seems to be to save the entire contents of the Card whereas what I hope I can do is import the individual files I want to back up each day for safe keeping whilst I go on shooting new material on the SD card the following day. If it's any clue as to what I'm doing wrong I've also tried to use Image Capture which again sees the SD Card but will not display any thumbnails and the Import and Import All buttons remain greyed out and inoperative. I am sure I am simply missing doing something very simple and would greatly appreciate any further pointers. Michael.

Sep 8, 2015 10:45 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric - I can only select the individual files to play them. What I can't do is select them so that I can back up individual ones and delete the files I don't want to keep. However I think I have found a solution to my worry that I will end up having to back up some files several times as a new day's photography is added to the SD Card. The solution I think will be to make a new back up folder everyday of everything on the card - and then delete the back up folder from the day before. I should have thought of that sooner but I was slightly thrown by the failure of Image Capture to recognise my test AVCHD files - I can work round that by using the card slot on the Macbook each day and then deleting the backup from the day before. Doesn't feel very elegant - but it looks as if it will achieve what I need to do. My thanks for your responding to my call for help. MichaelCobham.

How do I format HDDs for my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.