Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

earlier versions of itunes

I want to install the last version of iTunes before the drongos took away XP support.

Does anyone have a link?

iTunes-OTHER, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 8:00 AM

You want this one:

iTunes 12.1.2.27 for Windows (32-bit) - iTunesSetup.exe (2015-04-09)

See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates if you have any difficulties.

tt2

8 replies

Sep 6, 2015 12:29 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I have a program that I use that runs on Windows XP and earlier. It's my bread and butter and if I upgrade to Win7 or higher I need to pay about $24,000 for a new license. I also have a fancy network printer for which there are no drivers past XP.

Talking about security vulnerabilities, Win 8 and 10 have literally thousands of vulnerabilities and MS is going to spend the next 10 years plugging the holes.

XP on the other hand has most of its vulnerabilities plugged which is why it's so stable. It also has compatibility support right back to DOS.

XP's (any windows for that matter) security vulnerabilities are best plugged buy putting a network appliance that doesn't run windows of any flavour in between your local network and the web and not visiting malicious sites. McAfee's SiteAdvisor is good for preventing the latter.

Anyhow, thanks for your assistance though.

-- Max

Sep 7, 2015 12:58 AM in response to etmax

I understand your reluctance, and we had a mathematics program at the college where I teach that would only run on XP. We kept one lab of machines on XP for that purpose, but with the lack of support and the possibility of driver issues we finally had to get away from it. I agree it has been a stable platform, however I've noticed that Windows 7 has worked extremely well for our LAN and am very pleased with it. I've been through every version of Windows, so I'm familiar with all the issues. It is a shame that program has you held hostage. Good luck.

Sep 7, 2015 1:04 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

What's especially sad about it is that the program actually doesn't need XP to run, it's only that the installer checks the OS and doesn't know anything past XP so won't progress. When I write SW I always avoid putting anything in the registry and save all program files relative to the install root directory. That means you can simply zip the installation to a zip file and do and extract on any machine you want. Given what 99% of programs do I don't understand why more don't do that.

Sep 7, 2015 4:03 AM in response to etmax

I guess it gets a little more complicated when you want to support over 30 languages, multiple user profiles, common components shared between more than one product, Windows built-in uninstall & repair functions, etc. We're not really supposed to indulge in speculation, but since Apple have actively chosen to stop supporting XP & Vista with the same build that introduced Apple Music I wouldn't be surprised if the two things are related somehow.

tt2

earlier versions of itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.