Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard backlight not working correctly

I replaced my early 2011 macbook pro keyboard with a new one and since then the backlight on it only illuminates down the middle of the keyboard. Specifically, when I press the F6 key a strip of light will appear down the F7, 7. Y, H, and B keys. None of the other keys light up.

I replaced my keyboard because I spilt a bunch of coconut oil on the keyboard. After wiping it up the keys were VERY sticky. Cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol didn't help enough so I decided to order a new keyboard and replace it. While I had it opened up I cleaned all of the oil out of inside the case.

Since replacing the keyboard it has worked fine other than the backlight. Why doesn't the whole keyboard light up? Is it an issue with a cable being disconnected? With the black film that lays over the keyboard? With the clear plastic piece that lays on the keyboard inside the case? I did lose one of the like 40 screws that holds the keyboard in place. Not real sure how to tackle this problem.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 9:26 AM

4 replies

Keyboard backlight not working correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.