Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upload pictures to iCloud without downloading iCloud content

How should my settings be to upload my pictures from my iPhone and iPad to iCloud without also downloading everything in iCloud to my phone. I pay to have storage in iCloud so I don't need my units to store all my pictures.

I use iCloud to also store pictures taken with my digital camera and have several thousand pictures. Having all these pictures synced to ALL my units is extremely unnecessary...

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 8:47 AM

7 replies

Sep 5, 2015 11:15 AM in response to HrOnsdag

You can' t do that. In order to save space on your mobile devices (and indeed your Mac if you wish to do so) turn on optimisation for photos on these devices (settings > photos & camera > optimise storage on your mobile device and Photo preferences > optimise storage on your Mac)

Optimisation is dynamic, it reduces the resolution of your photos as and when needed, so you may not notice it occurring at first. However when it is needed, it is very effective and users have reported libraries being optimised to much less than 10% of their original size in some cases. My own library is about 9% of its original size on my phone.

Sep 5, 2015 11:20 AM in response to Winston Churchill

That is just stupid...

So I have the options of syncing ALL of my pictures or none of them? Must have been a real genius who came up with that...

I don't want all my pictures on all my units, no matter if they are compressed or not, but I DO want all of my pictures in iCloud. I really hope there comes a fix to this or it might just be the thing that pushes me away from Apple...

Sep 5, 2015 12:56 PM in response to HrOnsdag

And I've used it, are you suggesting I imagined what it did.

You are entitled to your opinions, I don't think you are right but there we go, either way Apple don't offer what you want, you'll have to decide what you want to do about it.

If you have any suggestions that you think might enhance the Photos Application you can send Apple your feedback here

Upload pictures to iCloud without downloading iCloud content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.