Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download from iCloud Photo Library

Hi,

When I shoot a photo with my iphone it is automatically uploaded on my iCloud Photo Library and I can found it on my iPad's Photos app.

That's great. But what if I need to delete the same photo from the iCloud Photo Library while keeping it on my iPad's local storage?

iPhone 5 with iOs 8.4.1, iCloud Photo Library on, Optimize iPhone Storage on, My Streaming Photo off.

iPad Air 2 with iOs 8.4.1, iCloud Photo Library on, Download Originals on, My Streaming Photo off.

iPad Air, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2015 2:29 AM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

With iCloud photo enabled, you cannot delete a photo on one device without deleting it from every device that uses iCloud photo library. In order to save space on your mobile devices (and indeed your Mac if you wish to do so) turn on optimisation for photos on these devices (settings > photos & camera > optimise storage on your mobile device and Photo preferences > optimise storage on your Mac)

Optimisation is dynamic, it reduces the resolution of your photos as and when needed, so you may not notice it occurring at first. However when it is needed, it is very effective and users have reported libraries being optimised to much less than 10% of their original size in some cases. My own library is about 9% of its original size on my phone.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2015 2:29 AM in response to Ginepro

Welcome to the Apple Community.

With iCloud photo enabled, you cannot delete a photo on one device without deleting it from every device that uses iCloud photo library. In order to save space on your mobile devices (and indeed your Mac if you wish to do so) turn on optimisation for photos on these devices (settings > photos & camera > optimise storage on your mobile device and Photo preferences > optimise storage on your Mac)

Optimisation is dynamic, it reduces the resolution of your photos as and when needed, so you may not notice it occurring at first. However when it is needed, it is very effective and users have reported libraries being optimised to much less than 10% of their original size in some cases. My own library is about 9% of its original size on my phone.

Download from iCloud Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.