Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes for iOS and it's ridiculous iNdexing...

As of iOS 8.4.1, the way the iTunes interface lists music is a bit silly. If you view your Library by Artist, you see the artist names listed alphabetically and the number of albums you have by them:

User uploaded file

If you view your Library by Album, you get the albums non-alphabetically, organized by artist in alphabetical order:

User uploaded file

So if I'm searching my Library under Albums, looking for "Aliens" (the movie soundtrack), I should find it not at the top of the current list, but under "J" for James Horner & The London Symphony Orchestra? That just seems a bit wonky to me...

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 10:13 AM

10 replies

Sep 5, 2015 12:55 PM in response to thirtyfive

Hi ThirtyFive, I guess that is why they make cars in different colors.... we each have our preferences. If you look at my screenshot below of Music organized by Albums, you can see that my Pink Martini albums are listed first by Artist and then by the name of the Albums in alpha order, same for Vivaldi below. That is how I like it as I rather have all my Vivaldi Albums grouped together by composer, and not under the the name of the specific composition. So it is difficult to accommodate all with one "color of car" so to speak....

Cheers,

El

User uploaded file

Sep 5, 2015 7:25 PM in response to thirtyfive

thirtyfive wrote:

My point: in the Music app, in My Music, in Libray, under Albums, the first album title under "N" should not be "Ridge Racer".

User uploaded file

Why do you believe that?

The artist "Namco" should be alphabetized before the artist "Manioc Sounds". They are not the same thing. It may be the same artist, but they way they are named is not the same. It's doing exactly what it should be doing.

Sep 6, 2015 7:49 AM in response to KiltedTim

My point, once again, is that the Album list, a list of the titles of the albums on the device, should be alphabetized based on the titles of the albums, not alphabetized by the name of the artists. In its current state, the Album list is nothing more than an expanded version of the Artist list; it's redundant.

If you are scrolling down the Album list, using the pop-up alphabet on the far right of the screen, in search of the album titled "Negativeland", you will not find that album title under the "N" section. Why? Because the title of the album is not the basis for the order of the titles in the Album list.

"But EVERYONE organizes their music by artist, not by album title! Why would anyone know the album and not know the name of the artist that made it?"

Maybe you forgot. Maybe the album was a gift, and the album title is the only part of that crappy bands output you even care to attempt to remember. Maybe any number of reasons.

The point is that a list of album titles should be organized by album titles first and foremost, not based on the alphabetical order of a completely separate list that is already searchable by it own criteria. The Album list, in my opinion, needs to be fixed or negated.

Sep 6, 2015 8:46 AM in response to thirtyfive

To bring this thread/argument to rest, I have found the solution to my question. As no one has pointed out to me, in Settings>Music>Library:Sort Albums, there is the option to sort the Album list by title or by artist. User uploaded file

Having made the adjustment, my beloved "Aliens" soundtrack is listed in its logical alphabetical position.

User uploaded file

Thanks to everyone for forcing me to solve my own problems.

L8r!

<Edited By Host>

iTunes for iOS and it's ridiculous iNdexing...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.