Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iMovie 9.0.9 still run ok when using Yosemite

I plan on upgrading from Lion to Yosemite.

I use iMovie 9.0.9. Will that version of iMovie work ok on Yosemite? Will I have to upgrade iMovie 9.0.9?

Many thanks,

Peter

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 10:24 AM

5 replies

Sep 5, 2015 11:39 AM in response to Switcher100

Yes, upgrade your iMovie 9 to the last version (9.0.9) before updating the OS. (I think you meant to say you were using an earlier version than 9.0.9). If you upgrade the OS over your Lion system, iMovie 9.0.9 will be moved into its own folder in Applications and should still work OK, though a few have reported problems. Don't do a 'clean' instal of Yosemite else you will loose it.

Geoff.

Sep 7, 2015 8:28 AM in response to Switcher100

Be careful switcher, I tried to import my iMovie 9 files into iMovie 10.0.9 and it doesn't work. The Genius Bar couldn't help and now I think my best option is to either find a computer with Mountain Lion and iMovie 9 and generate movie files with all my incomplete projects and then bring them over.
So no, iMovie 9 is not compatible with iMovie.

Sep 7, 2015 10:32 AM in response to AliasDoesntWork

" I tried to import my iMovie 9 files into iMovie 10.0.9 and it doesn't work."

By iMovie 9 do you mean version 9 or iMovie '09 (version 8).

iMovie 9.0.9 (the last version of iMovie 9) projects and events should import into iMovie 10 with no problem. Whether you would find iMovie 10 an improvement over iMovie 9 is another matter but you can try it out since importing iMovie 9 projects does not stop you continuing to use iMovie 9..

Geoff.

Will iMovie 9.0.9 still run ok when using Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.