Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have both a 2010 IMac, and a 2012 MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion installed. I need to install Snow Leopard in addition to Mountain Lion as I have multiple documents with AppleWorks 6. What is the best way to do this. Thank you.

I have both a 2010 IMac, and a 2012 MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion installed. I need to install Snow Leopard in addition to Mountain Lion as I have multiple documents with AppleWorks 6. What is the best way to do this. Thank you.

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 10:34 AM

16 replies

Sep 5, 2015 5:58 PM in response to coachrkr

VirtualBox is a PC program.

There are Mac OS X VirtualBox implementations

<https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

User uploaded file

You will need to get Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard "Server" to get it running easily on any virtual machine (VirtualBox, VMware Fusion, Parallels).

I can't find any instructions on how to install the Snow Leopard program in VirtualBox on a Mac. You can find information installing IOS 10.6 on VirtualBox using windows. But as for Macs.............................

Point VirtualBox at the Snow Leopard Server DVD as the boot device, and it will boot from the DVD and start the installation. But if it is not the Snow Leopard Server DVD, VirtualBox will not try.

Sep 6, 2015 2:30 AM in response to Niel

Thank you for your reply. Computer programmers.......................... Common sense would dictate installing an IOS on a separate external hard drive would be an intelligent solution. I'm a retired aerospace/ aeronautical engineer, and former test pilot. This is why we never let computer programmers near aircraft. I probably hold the record at Lockheed for firing computer programmers. I was always frustrated with their lack of common sense. A military aircraft is a weapons platform. Simplicity (user friendly) is always the solution. A pilot can't be pushing multiple buttons (clicking) to fire a weapon on our targeting system, while flying the aircraft, and dodging SAMS.

It's a simple solution. You would think Apple would be smart enough to design their computer programs accordingly. I guess not. The common sense factor manifests itself.

Thank you very much for you fast response, and help.

Sep 6, 2015 7:56 AM in response to coachrkr

Computer programmers.......................... Common sense would dictate installing an IOS on a separate external hard drive would be an intelligent solution. I'm a retired aerospace/ aeronautical engineer, and former test pilot. This is why we never let computer programmers near aircraft. I probably hold the record at Lockheed for firing computer programmers. I was always frustrated with their lack of common sense. A military aircraft is a weapons platform. Simplicity (user friendly) is always the solution. A pilot can't be pushing multiple buttons (clicking) to fire a weapon on our targeting system, while flying the aircraft, and dodging SAMS.

It's a simple solution. You would think Apple would be smart enough to design their computer programs accordingly. I guess not. The common sense factor manifests itself.

But a weapons platform, is not a general purpose device. And a good one has a limited focus with its implementation. Of course when the military bean counters want to make one plane do too many jobs it sometimes doesn't do any of them well.

However, by design most computer systems are intended as general purpose systems which have to serve multiple masters. Apple tends to do better at simplification than most, but it is non-trivial. And when they simplify and take away an option or just change the interface to make it simpler, there is a huge outcry from people that either do not want to change or liked/depended on the old way.

In this case, Apple's simplicity was not your ideal.

I've been writing software since the '70's and lucky for me I have never had to implement anything where someone's life hung in the balance. So I have never been fired 🙂

NOTE: Why not take the 2010 system and get Snow Leopard & AppleWorks installed on an external disk and running native, then convert the documents to another format, and you do not need to run Snow Leopard on the 2012 system ever. That seems a simpler solution in the long term.

And the reason the 2012 system cannot run Snow Leopard on an external (or internal disk) is that Snow Leopard does not have drivers for the new components in the 2012 system. The virtual machine provides a simplified interface and masks out all that new hardware, letting the host OS deal with it.

Sep 6, 2015 8:00 AM in response to coachrkr

Success has been reported in running Snow Leopard Server under emulation in Parallels, and then Appleworks within that. - the method is described here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17285039&postcount=564

Snow Leopard Server is (as far as I know) still available in the Apple Store (by telephone) at a reduced price and is preferable to using ordinary Snow Leopard which is quite tricky.

For a detailed look at the problem of AppleWorks you may find my article interesting:

http://wilmut.uk/aw

Sep 6, 2015 8:32 AM in response to BobHarris

Thank you for your response, and help. My point was simplification. Just like in aircraft design, when you try and do a multi-role fighter aircraft, you end up with a jack of all trades, and a master of none. Apple does seems to like to do their testing out in the field. Like the mechanic that replaces an engine part thinking that solves the problem, without taking it out on a test drive. The IPhones bending in one's pocket, is another example of poor field testing.

I'm all for new technology, but the poor guys that have spent a lot of money, and been using older Apple programs for years, only to lose all their documents because of an upgrade, is not a good marketing practice in my opinion. As a former project engineer that would not fly with me in the aircraft business, where computers are heavily involved. Sorry, but I just can't help but question what someone was thinking, when they did, what they did.

None of this, is directed at you in any way, but I think my concerns are very valid. I already have done what you suggested, and thank you again, for your help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.