Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Original replacement parts from Apple

I am wondering if buying real replacement parts for the iPhone is possible. Some 3rd party iPhone repair stores claim to have "genuine iPhone glass". I've heard rumours that only Apple has the real glass, and it's not possible to buy and use to repair iPhones, unless you're certified by Apple. Is this true?

Any iPhone-OTHER, Other OS

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 9:25 AM

Then they were inexperienced techs who don’t care about the customer. The company I’m with has always transferred the home button cable from day one. That’s why it’s so important to do your research and not just bring your investment to any old shop repairing phones. Just didn’t want people scared off by repair shops. They are not all bad.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2017 9:25 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Then they were inexperienced techs who don’t care about the customer. The company I’m with has always transferred the home button cable from day one. That’s why it’s so important to do your research and not just bring your investment to any old shop repairing phones. Just didn’t want people scared off by repair shops. They are not all bad.

Dec 16, 2017 8:51 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I know this post is old, but I just have to make a rebuttal the statement above. It is simply not true that fingerprint ID will not work if Apple doesn’t repair your phone. I have witnessed, first hand, dozens of replacements being done with aftermarket screens that in no way affect the fingerprint ID. It’s all in the home button cable which gets transferred to the new screen. The only way to loose fingerprint ID is to damage that cable. That is why you shouldn’t go to an inexperienced repair person/shop/company. And Apple will still honor warranties if your screen has been replaced. I believe this is a newer policy, but Just at ask Apple.

Dec 16, 2017 10:49 AM in response to Jenof4

Agreed that they are not all bad, but how do you tell the good from the bad? In most industries there are certifications that provide some information (not enough, but some). Apple will certify technicians for computers, Microsoft will provide certification tests and certifications, Oracle, IBM, Google all have comprehensive certification programs. There are no certification programs for independent repairers or repair shops.

Apple currently offers iOS certifications only for Apple Authorized Service Provider technicians (AASPs), and they can be found only in countries with no or few Apple stores. But the reason is that Apple does not consider iOS devices to be user-serviceable; except for battery and screen replacements Apple's own stores don't service iPhones, iPod Touch's and iPads (or Apple TVs). It is simply more economical to centralize repair in a few locations where labor costs are low. For screen replacements Apple has a "robot" that does all of the work; put the phone in one end and a phone with a new screen comes out the other end (not literally, but close). No independent has anything equivalent. But you are correct, that Apple will no longer void the warranty on a 3rd party screen replacement if nothing else was damaged in the repair process.

So how do you do research? While you can use personal recommendations, they are limited by the fact that most people don't know a good from a bad, unless it is really bad. You can't go by review sites such as Yelp, as its reviews are so heavily stacked they are worse than useless. (Yelp is not along; Trip Advisor recently gave top ratings to a non-existent restaurant).

If the independent repair industry wants to be taken seriously it needs to develop meaningful certification programs.

Dec 16, 2017 11:54 AM in response to Jenof4

It was certainly true for the hundreds of users I've replied to over the past few years. I realize we don't see posts from users who did not lose touch ID after a screen replacement, but it's common enough that users need to be aware of the risks. There is absolutely no way of knowing if the technician you take it to will break touch ID or not - until it's too late. As Apple will replace screens for a reasonable cost, it's all a matter of the user's tolerance for risk to save a few bucks.

Sep 5, 2015 4:07 PM in response to lucasburchardt

lucasburchardt wrote:

I am wondering if buying real replacement parts for the iPhone is possible. Some 3rd party iPhone repair stores claim to have "genuine iPhone glass". I've heard rumours that only Apple has the real glass, and it's not possible to buy and use to repair iPhones, unless you're certified by Apple. Is this true?

If you have an iPhone with TouchID and you have the screen replaced by anyone but Apple, the TouchID will no longer work.

Sep 5, 2015 5:29 PM in response to lucasburchardt

lucasburchardt wrote:

Those stores are flat out liars. The only stores that can order OEM original parts are Apple stores themselves, and their officially Authorized Repair Centers. And they cannot sell those parts retail, but may only use them to repair devices. There is no source for anyone else to purchase genuine new OEM parts.

There are are plenty of salvaged parts and often those get sold "as new" but they were juts taken off an already busted device so themselves are suspect parts. There are also plenty of counterfeit parts, which as you might expect are usually of far lesser quality.

Original replacement parts from Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.