Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete a backups.backupdb file that Time Machine can't

I don't know where to start with this story, so I'll just jump to the end. I have an old backup on my desktop. I tried to delete it with Time Machine, but nothing happened. I dragged it to the trash and tried to empty the trash, but it cannot be deleted. When I select either remove unlocked files or remove all, Trash simply closes. Apparently, my Admin credentials are insufficient.

I successfully deleted files and folders sequentially from bottom to top. The backups.backupdb folder now shows as empty, but there must be several hidden and locked files in it, because Trash lists 7 files. Since I can't get to them, I can't unlock them. I would move the file to an external drive and erase the drive, but I also can't move the backups.backupdb folder. It just copies instead. I am stumped.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 1:14 PM

8 replies

Sep 5, 2015 1:42 PM in response to gstarnes

Why can't you erase it? What's left of the backup are invisible files including the sparse bundle containing all the actual files. You will need to enable invisible files in the Finder to see them:

Enable Finder to Show Invisible Files and Folders

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following command line then press RETURN.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

To turn off the display of invisible files and folders enter or paste the following command line and press RETURN.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

Alternatively you can use one of the numerous third-party utilities such as TinkerTool or ShowHideInvisibleFiles - MacUpdate.

Sep 5, 2015 3:40 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you for this. I could erase the drive, but it is my primary hard drive, so would not me much fun at all.

OK. I can now see the files. They are folders: .RecoverySets, 0, com.apple.recovery.boot containing one file: boot.efi. Get Info shows that all are locked, with the locked checkbox grayed out. I can click on the gold lock at the bottom of the window and enter password to get it to unlock, but that doesn't actually unlock the folders or file. I see that I have only Read permission, though I am the only user, and I believe, admin.

Thank you for hanging in there with me.

How do I delete a backups.backupdb file that Time Machine can't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.