Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help needed with Jabber in my Messages

I am having trouble trying to locate where I create an account for Jabber to use with my Messages. Is this account automatically created with the OS X Yosemite update or do I have to manually create an account? Also how will I know if the account has been created?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 4:14 PM

1 reply

Sep 7, 2015 1:12 PM in response to MrCook0311

Hi,

If you are starting out afresh then the account can be set up in Messages (and it will get added to Internet Accounts in System Preferences)User uploaded file

Then it changes to allow you to select AIM or Jabber

User uploaded file

Select Jabber.

Enter the Jabber ID (You have to have one first) and the Password.

If in System Preferences > Internet Accounts you have a Jabber ID already set up it may need activating for Messages.

This is a view of my Google account in Internet Accounts. It is active for Mail and Messages

User uploaded file

As you can see from my first picture accounts show in the list in Messages (you cannot delete the iMessages and Bonjour ones).

If in the General Section of the Preferences you Untick the item that gather all the accounts into one list (That is everything but iMessages) they will display separately with individual Buddy lists.

They then also show in the Window Menu with their own Keystrokes (if you don't have more then nine)

User uploaded file

They also show bottom left of the main chat window.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

9:12 p.m. Monday; September 7, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Help needed with Jabber in my Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.