Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect to an external CD/DVD to install an upgrade

I have a 2GHz mac mini core 2 duo with 2 GB DRAM (2007?) running 10.4.11 and its DVD drive doesn't work anymore.

I want to upgrade to a newer mac mini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 with 8 GB of DDR3 Ram (2013?) running 10.8.5.

I can't use migration assistant over ethernet between these two OS's as they are too far apart, but firewire 400 to 800 is supposed to be able to link them.

I understand from several forums and Apple that I could upgrade my old mac mini first to 10.6 (via an external DVD/computer), then use migration assistant from the newer mac mini via ethernet to transfer contents of my old mac mini info to the newer mini.

Since the DVD drive in the old mini isn't working, I tried connecting the new optical drive to the old mini but it doesn't recognize it.

So the optical drive functions well and is connected to the newer mini and the two mini's are connected using firewire 400 to 800 cable.

On the new mini, I opened "preferences", then "sharing" and clicked turned on "DVD or CD sharing".

I tried sleeping and restarting both computers from this setup to see if the old mini would recognize the DVD drive connected to the newer mini

but I can't seem to get it to connect or recognize the DVD drive on the newer mini.

I have a lot of mission critical old data in this old mini. I have created both a "Backup" file and a "Carbon Copy Clone" of my old mac mini

on a back up LaCie drive so I think I'm ready to go. I've never linked two macs together except via an office ethernet network.

Looking forward to some much needed words of wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

KS

iMac, MacMini, MacBook, iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 4:40 PM

4 replies

Sep 5, 2015 5:45 PM in response to Kurt Stauffert

I also just tried the following based on another post seen elsewhere to try and get the old mac mini to recognize the newer superdrive.

Directly via USB connected the newer superdrive to the old Mac Mini with the 10.6.3 install disk in it.

Went into Terminal Mode and pasted

sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1"

pressed Return

typed in my password (even though did not see the cursor moving)

pressed Return

Restarted

The mini did not restart but just had its white status light blinking at me.

So I pressed the power switch until it turned off and restarted it ... which it did successfully.

The mac mini did not recognize the newer superdrive so this option didn't work.

Sep 6, 2015 3:26 AM in response to Kurt Stauffert

If yo tried everthing here:

http://www.hardturm.ch/luz/2011/10/how-to-make-the-macbook-air-superdrive-work-w ith-any-mac/

Then if your newer Mac has an internal optical drive connect the two via FireWire and then boot the newer Mac in Target Disk Mode

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

and use that optical drive on the old Mac

Last. startup both Macs and connect to same network and connect the Superdrive to the newer Mac and then setup optical drive sharing

Use the CD or DVD drive from another computer with your Mac - Apple Support

so the old Mac can use the optical drive connect tot he newer Mac. Target Disk Mode does NOT applie to external drives.

How to connect to an external CD/DVD to install an upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.