Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringer constantly turning itself on and off. Will I need to pay for a repair?

My ringer keeps turning itself on and off, I'm not pressing any bottoms or any where near any of the buttons. Will I need to pay for a repair?

I have the iPhone 6.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 6, 2015 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2018 1:50 PM

Hi Veggipatch,

I had the same problem but I fixed mine! I hope you can too.

Get an old toothbrush(dry) and with the bristles clean the ringer. Then switch the ringer to the other side and clean it with the bristles again. This should definitely work! This happens because of the dirt build up in the ringer. Thanks

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2018 1:50 PM in response to Veggipatch

Hi Veggipatch,

I had the same problem but I fixed mine! I hope you can too.

Get an old toothbrush(dry) and with the bristles clean the ringer. Then switch the ringer to the other side and clean it with the bristles again. This should definitely work! This happens because of the dirt build up in the ringer. Thanks

Jan 22, 2017 12:39 PM in response to jaymackdesigns

I am experiencing the same issue with a brand new iPhone 7. The intermittent switching of the ringer on and off seems to occur most when I adjust the volume buttons or shake the phone. This issue occurs even when there is no case on the phone. I intend to take the phone to an Apple Store over the coming days, so I will update with the outcome.

Feb 15, 2018 12:33 AM in response to Veggipatch

I have the same problem with iPhone6 plus. It goes on and off every 2-3 minutes. Some times it continues for 2-3 hours until I switch it off. Also ringer off switch does not work always. some times, I turn it off but it still rings when someone calls. Somebody suggested to clean the switch with clean toothbrush. It makes sense but such a small part and we need to probably open phone ourselves. It scares me.

Is your problem solved?

Sep 6, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Veggipatch

What do you mean by it is turning itself on and off? Can you describe what is happening a little clearer? When is this happening? How often do this happen? Have you check to see if you have Do Not Disturb turned on? Have you checked to see if the Mute switch has been activated? Do you have a case on the phone that could be interfering with the Mute switch?

Sep 6, 2015 11:40 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I keep getting the icon flashing up in the middle of the screen saying 'ringer' then it will flash back up saying 'silent'. It seems to keep happening intermittently, usually when on silent mode. I have not got 'do not disturbe' activated nor is my case in the way of the buttons.

I Did a diagnostic test and it says i need to send it in for repair, I'm just wondering if I would need to pay for this. I am still in warrantee.

Sep 6, 2015 11:44 AM in response to Veggipatch

Veggipatch wrote:

I keep getting the icon flashing up in the middle of the screen saying 'ringer' then it will flash back up saying 'silent'. It seems to keep happening intermittently, usually when on silent mode. I have not got 'do not disturbe' activated nor is my case in the way of the buttons.

I Did a diagnostic test and it says i need to send it in for repair, I'm just wondering if I would need to pay for this. I am still in warrantee.

How did you accomplish this diagnostic test? I'm curious what you did or whom you talked to.

Actually, the actions you describe sound like a problem with the Mute switch. It could be as I indicated an issue with the case, but you seem to believe it wouldn't be. That is your option. Either way, the determination if it will cost is up to Apple. You can make an appointment at the Genius Bar, or you can call Apple Care about sending the device in. If there is no evidence of user damage and Apple determines the fault is a warranty issue, there will be no cost. However, no one here could make that determination. Your next step is to contact Apple.

Ringer constantly turning itself on and off. Will I need to pay for a repair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.