Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to modem/router with ethernet cable wiFi is fine

My 2014 iMac (Yosemite) will not connect to modem/router using ethernet cable. However, WiFi works well from same router. I have a PC connected to the router and it works. I have reset my router - no luck. I tried changing cable connections to the router - including the PC was using - no luck

One potential cause:

1. Used Disk Utility
  2. Clicked First Aid Tab
  3. Then clicked the "Repair Disk Permissions"

About 20 repairs were made. I'm not sure the problem started then - but it might have. If anyone has a suggest on how to re-establish my network connect, please reply.

Thanks In Advance

Frederick T.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 6, 2015 10:23 AM

5 replies

Sep 7, 2015 12:36 PM in response to frederickfromrichmondhill

Greetings frederickfromrichmondhill,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, the Mac will not connect to the internet if it is connected by ethernet. I would recommend that you read these articles, they may be helpful in troubleshooting your issue.

Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting - Apple Support

Internet connection and troubleshooting

Learn about common ways to connect to the Internet. The DNS issues section below applies to all three types.

Ethernet connection from cable modem, DSL, or LAN

These articles explain how to connect to the Internet or troubleshoot your service if you have a cable modem, digital subscriber line (DSL), or a local area network (LAN). You use your computer's Ethernet port or an AirPort base station to connect to these services.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.
Take care

Sep 7, 2015 1:57 PM in response to frederickfromrichmondhill

Click on System Preferences then click on Network ( Now you need to Choose how you are connecting and drag your choice to the top and it must have the green dot.) Ethernet will be the fastest. Just because you have the ability to use wireless doesn't mean you have to use it. As in my case I have my main iMac connected via Wireless and everything else is wireless downstairs.

Hope this helps and Welcome to the Discussions and Good Luck

Don Morgan

Cannot connect to modem/router with ethernet cable wiFi is fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.