Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have imac 10.6.8 and found my homepage had changed somehow to Opti-search I reset my homepage but anytime I try to search Bing or Google my address bar goes to http://www.opti-page.com but does not complete loading does anyone know what I can do

I have an Imac v. 10.6.8 and found my homepage had changed to strange looking search page called Opti-Search. I changed it back to my homepage page but now whenever I try to do a search in Bing or Google it tries to load to http://www.opti-page.com. Does anyone know what this is and how can a fix it.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 6, 2015 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2015 4:04 PM

It's malware ...

Force quit Safari using the Command + Option + Esc keyboard shortcut.

Then relaunch Safari while holding down the Shift key then download and run Malwarebyyes Anti-Malware for Mac formerly known as AdwareMedic. It's free.

If you would rather not download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, you can remove the malware manually following the instructions here > Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2015 4:04 PM in response to Crystal Newkirk

It's malware ...

Force quit Safari using the Command + Option + Esc keyboard shortcut.

Then relaunch Safari while holding down the Shift key then download and run Malwarebyyes Anti-Malware for Mac formerly known as AdwareMedic. It's free.

If you would rather not download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, you can remove the malware manually following the instructions here > Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 13, 2015 5:49 PM in response to Crystal Newkirk

Crystal Newkirk wrote:

Well I tried to download the adwaremedic but unfortunately my latest version is 10.6.8 and it says I need at least 10.7 to install.

Yes, you can't use that. You needed to follow the instructions at the link I posted to remove it manually. Note that this is very important to do. Contrary to what Linc has said, if all you removed was a Safari extension, you're most definitely not done. Unless you have done something else in addition, you'll still have more running in the background.

If you've already followed the advice at that link, and removed those files, then you're really done. On the other hand, if you're having trouble with that, let me know, and I can help you further.

Sep 16, 2015 6:05 PM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks thomas_r. I haven't done what you told me yet I saw the adwaremedic solution and was hoping to use that because I am not computer savvy. Anyway I went to the link and copied the instructions so I can read them and plan to attempt this weekend. I had an earlier post that told me where to find the extension and disabled it for now so it is not keeping me from doing searches but I do want it off my computer and plan to follow your advice. Thank you I will get back to you if I have any trouble.

I have imac 10.6.8 and found my homepage had changed somehow to Opti-search I reset my homepage but anytime I try to search Bing or Google my address bar goes to http://www.opti-page.com but does not complete loading does anyone know what I can do

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.