Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari not rendering apple pages

Has anyone ever come across appformac.xyz? I mistakenly clicked a link to the site, and Safari 8 was immediately taken over by some sort of ransomware ad. I'm running 10.10.5. I couldn't get out of the takeover, so ended up disconnecting from the web and reconnecting to stop the pop-up. Today I was on wimp.com when a Java install window popped up, for no reason. I didn't click, just closed the window, and then went to apple.com to search what the problem may be. I searched java pop-up virus on apple.com and it led me to a page that was all kinds of messed up (in Safari): User uploaded file

Anybody know what gives? The page renders fin in Chrome and in Firefox. Time to abandon Safari?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 6, 2015 3:17 PM

9 replies

Sep 7, 2015 9:56 AM in response to CreativePro

Hi! If you have problems opening webpages, take a look at these troubleshooting techniques suggested by Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204098

Go to Safari menu (At the very top right side of your screen next to Apple icon), choose "Quit Safari"

press "Shift" button and while holding this button on your keyboard single click on the Safari icon on your Dock.

Open Safari - Preferences - Privacy - Remove All Website Data.

Open the Go menu with Option (Alt) key pressed - Library - locate Safari folder and move it to your desktop. Restart your Mac, open Safari and delete the folder from your desktop.

Also, you may try these steps:

Restart your Mac.

Try Safe Boot:

- Shut down your Mac

- Wait until your computer turns off and after that press the Power button

- Right after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key

- Release the Shift key when you see a grey Apple sign and the progress bar below this sign

- After your Mac boots up, restart it as you usually do.

If this doesn't help, follow the instructions below:

- Shut down your Mac

- Wait until your computer turns off and after that press the Power button

- Right after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key

- Release the Shift key when you see a grey Apple sign and the progress bar below this sign

- Once you see Desktop, start a Disk Utility scan to detect and repair file system errors (don't forget to choose your main hard drive)

- Click on Verify Disk and then, if asked to fix problems, on Repair Disk

- After this, click on Verify Disk Permissions and then on Repair Disk Permissions

- After the process is finished, shut down your Mac and turn it back on after about 30 seconds

BTW, if you see pop-ups in the browser, you can try using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

You can also remove the adware manually using the steps provided by Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

After you follow these steps, make sure your default search engine is set to the one you always use. To do so, Open Safari - Preferences - Search.

Hope this helps!

Sep 7, 2015 11:03 AM in response to D.Cohen

Hi D. Cohen. Tried everything and the pages are still not rendering properly in Safari. Not every page on apple.com is rendering improperly. For instance, Java for OS X 2014-001: How to re-enable the Apple-provided Java SE 6 web plug-in and Web Start features - Apple Support is all screwed up in the headline and page position, but Java 3D and Java Advanced Imaging Update: Information and Download is perfectly normal. Weird. Guess I'll call my Mac guru in to see if he can figure this one out.

Sep 11, 2015 12:34 PM in response to CreativePro

Nate (my tech from Mid Atlantic Consulting) just came by and figured it out. On the Apple page I show above, there is a teeny-tiny disclaimer font used. Nate turned off "Never use font sizes smaller than... and "Press Tab..." in Accessibility, under Safari's Advanced Preferences, and it solved the problem.

BTW, stay away from appformac.xyz – one of those scam sites that does browser takeovers.

Sep 12, 2015 2:40 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

Wish I would have seen your post before all my troubleshooting!! I was able to ferret out the "workaround." Apple should just fix their Support pages, because when that is unchecked, lots of other sites are just too, too small!

I had to UN-check the Accessibility: __ Never use font sizes smaller than ___

BTW, the ____ Press Tab button has no effect on the Apple Support pages (checked or UN-checked), on my system -- Mav 10.9.5, Safari 7.1.8

Cheers!😀

safari not rendering apple pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.