Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

boot camp driver update, Windows 10 Crashes

I updated my Windows 7 Boot Camp Partition to Windows 10.

All software is as updated as I can get it, from OS X to Windows.

I am running Windows 10 now on my iMac 27" 2009 model. It runs Yosemite very well.

No problems.

My Boot Camp version is apparently 4 (old), I cannot find trustworthy instructions to update it (found an outside link).

Is my computer too old for versions 5 or 6 (in which case I would be disappointed in Apple)?

My real problem is that when I open some Office files that are on my Macintosh partition, Windows crashes HARD.

If I copy the file to the Windows partition, no problems.

I could accept the Mac partition as Read Only, but for some reason it isn't. May be due to preparations to run OS X virtualized under Windows 10 or vice versa.

Thanks,

SK

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), iMac 27, 2009 model Core2 Duo

Posted on Sep 6, 2015 5:24 PM

6 replies

Sep 6, 2015 6:27 PM in response to Kappy

Microsoft seems to disagree with this, my computer upgraded to Windows 10 and runs it just fine.

It seems Apple has decided to limit its Boot Camp updates to later models, this is not a limitation on Windows 10 itself.

I love Apple and its products, I've been using them since the MacPlus. Just another disappointment.

I exonerate Microsoft on this.

Thanks.

Sep 7, 2015 5:51 AM in response to Steven Kutoroff

Steven Kutoroff wrote:

Microsoft seems to disagree with this, my computer upgraded to Windows 10 and runs it just fine.

It seems Apple has decided to limit its Boot Camp updates to later models, this is not a limitation on Windows 10 itself.

M$'s disagreement is misplaced on Macs. It may run fine, but you have/will have driver issues.

I love Apple and its products, I've been using them since the MacPlus. Just another disappointment.

Planned obsolescence is the next best thing to innovation to keep a revenue stream alive.

I exonerate Microsoft on this.

M$ is in the same boat as Apple, just different approaches to market share. Tell the world your product works on (A...Z) and then say 'almost', but not 'quite'. Microsoft Office, Live,... all now require newer versions to be W10 compatible. 😎

Sep 7, 2015 6:04 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the reply. Having now done a number of searches on this subject, here are my findings and opinions.

1. I trusted the Microsoft installer to determine if my computer could run Windows 10. Since it does run, the tool was correct.

2. The tool probably assumes driver updates may be needed and are available.

3.The E8600 processor on my iMac is fully capable of Windows 10 support. Any other hardware on the computer depends on a driver to work.

4. The only issue I have observed was with Boot Camp drivers is with that used to read from the Apple partition. Clearly, I need to avoid this.

5. Apple is not the only vendor to not update drivers, I've seem the same issues reported against Dell. I am sure there are others too.

6. Until this issue, I did not see that my version of Boot Camp (4) was not being updated. That explains why my touch surface mouse is just a dumb mouse on Windows.

7. Windows 10 is a nice improvement over Windows 7.

8. I only wish Microsoft made moving from PC to PC as easy as Apple does. If it did, I'd have Windows on my 2014 Mac Mini.

Cheers and Happy Labor Day to All.

SK

Sep 7, 2015 6:11 AM in response to Steven Kutoroff

For #4, if your OS X side has a CS volume, Windows cannot read it. Check the output of diskutil cs list and verify that you can revert to a standard JHFS+, which will allow readability.

For #6, you may be able to extract the newer TrackPad driver and install it on an older 64-bit OS.

For #8, you can try Winclone or Camptune or CloneZilla.

Happy Labor Day to US! 😎 (It is hot in DC area today).

boot camp driver update, Windows 10 Crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.