Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing Powerbook G4 15" Aluminium 80Gb PATA drive with 40Gb drive?

Having already accidentally purchased a 3.5" drive to replace a failed Powerbook PATA/ATA HDD, I now want to double check that THIS might do the trick! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330523013972

Thanks.

PowerBook G4 1.67 15" (Al) 1.67 GHz PowerPC 7447a (G4)

Intro. January 31, 2005 Disc. October 19, 2005

Order M9677LL/A Model A1106 (EMC 2029)

Family 15-Inch 1.67/1.5 ID PowerBook5,6

RAM 512 MB VRAM 64 MB

Storage 80 GB (5400 RPM) Optical 8X "SuperDrive"

Posted on Sep 7, 2015 3:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2015 3:43 AM

The specs appear fine. This part bothers me:

User uploaded file

Toshiba shipped a bunch of 40GB 2.5" drives in the early 2000's that simply did not hold up. A friend had two older PowerBooks updated with Toshiba 40GB drives and both drives failed in less than three years. I replaced them with WD Scorpios and they are still working fine--10 years later!

See if the vendor will let you specify a brand.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2015 3:43 AM in response to digitaltoast

The specs appear fine. This part bothers me:

User uploaded file

Toshiba shipped a bunch of 40GB 2.5" drives in the early 2000's that simply did not hold up. A friend had two older PowerBooks updated with Toshiba 40GB drives and both drives failed in less than three years. I replaced them with WD Scorpios and they are still working fine--10 years later!

See if the vendor will let you specify a brand.

Sep 10, 2015 3:48 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thank you. Well, the drive arrived, I fitted it, formatted, partitioned and tested.

And now the situation is EXACTLY the same as with the old drive. Laptop boots (took a few goes to install), but then after a while, I get the beachball.

And although the top menu responds, nothing else does. I can select restart, but it won't. Only a hard crashdown sorts it.

The disk can be checked for both errors and permissions, and passes just fine, but it does take a LONG time. Same as with the old disk.

For example, it started downloading updates, got to 6%, then I got the beachball.

I'm beginning to think it might be network adaptor related, even though I have tried both LAN and Wifi.

My original post is here, but the disk error may be misleading now.

PowerBook G4 "The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)"

Replacing Powerbook G4 15" Aluminium 80Gb PATA drive with 40Gb drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.