Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Currrently photo books are not working

I spoke to Apple support yesterday who advised that the photo book feature in iphoto is undergoing maintenance and was not able to advise when this would be available again. Has anyone had similar issues and if so did you find any workaround?

I would really appreciate any responses.

Brian

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 7, 2015 8:39 AM

16 replies

Sep 10, 2015 3:27 AM in response to Bmux

Many thanks Old Toad and Leonie for your considered replies.

If I upgrade to Yosemite are there any major implications for this - e.g. I run Windows email app (Entourage) and other Windows apps (XL, Word, PPT, etc)

Also will I still keep my music library and photos if I upgrade? Sorry may be stupid questions but I just want to make sure if I upgrade there won't be any residual issues to deal with.

Regards

Brian

Sep 10, 2015 6:53 AM in response to Bmux

Are you using iTunes for your Music Library? Or are you using Garageband, Logic Pro X, audio interfaces that need device drivers and audio units?

Third party audio units might be problematic, if they are 32bit only, but iTunes will be able to open your iTunes library.

IPhoto 9.6.1 will be able to open older iPhoto libraries, also the new Photos.app.

Sep 10, 2015 7:57 AM in response to Bmux

When you upgrade MacOS X by installing the update on top of the current system, all your documents and data and applications will stay just a they are. Some applications may no longer be compatible or plug-ins they are using may not be compatible.

Incompatible applications will have icons that are crossed out like the ghostbusters sign and you will have to update them. RoaringApps is a good place to check older apps for compatibility before you take the jump.

User uploaded file

Don't upgrade without making a full Time Machine backup or a bootable clone of your Mac. This way you will be able to revert to the current state, if something should happen. This document describes how to revert back to the previous system from our backup: OS X Yosemite: Revert to a previous OS X version

Have you checked the "App Store > Purchases" tab, if iPhoto is showing in your Purchase history (the fourth tab of the App Store)? If iPhoto is not showing there, when you sign into the App Store with your Apple ID, you will not be able to update to iPhoto 9.6.1 without the Help of the App Store Support. Check that before you upgrade to Yosemite. Your current iPhoto version is incompatible. If you cannot update from the AppStore to iPhoto 9.6.1, you will need to use the Photos.app instead of iPhoto.

Sep 11, 2015 1:17 AM in response to léonie

Thanks a lot guys - really helpful.

A few additional queries/comments:

1) Is Yosemite going to be disconitnued and if so is it worth upgrading if support is going to be removed?

2) I checked roaringapps for compatibility and for Windows Office 2008 for Mac it says "No Data" - this is a concern?

3) Yes iPhoto is in the Puchased tab in the App Store so that's ok

I will do a backup as you suggest (have time machine) before I upgrade once I have any responses to the above.

Many thanks again.. 🙂

Brian

Sep 11, 2015 1:52 AM in response to Bmux

1) Is Yosemite going to be disconitnued and if so is it worth upgrading if support is going to be removed?

See Old Toad's post above (Re: Currrently photo books are not working): Apple is supporting iPhoto on Yosemite; it released the compatibility update iPhoto 9.6.1. We do not know yet, if iPhoto will be available for download from the AppStore at all after the release of the new system on September 30. I'd try to get iPhoto 9.6.1 while it is still available.

Currrently photo books are not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.