Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Classic 160gb won't sync, error -50, prompts system restore to factory settings

Greetings,

I have an Ipod Classic 160Gb. Everytime I try to sync it in my PC, it gets up to 3000+ songs and it starts to slow down in its syncing (the syncing symbol on the Ipod often switches to the "connected" symbol when it starts to slow down), to the point where "error - 50" comes up. It also displays messages like the Ipod's directory cannot be found. When I unplug it, there is NO music at all; and once I reconnect it, it prompts a system restore to factory settings, and the problem starts all over again.

I ruled out a problem with my PC because I synced other Ipods Classic (80Gb) and no errors occurred. Furthermore, I tried doing a sync with this problematic Ipod 160Gb in a Mac, but to a different iTunes Library. Curiously enough, there were no problems with the syncing and it held a total of +7000 songs... But, as I said, I realized that my PC wasn't the problem since other Ipods Classic synced fine with my own iTunes Library.

Bottom line, I need help because I have a LOT of music and my Ipod keeps giving me this problem. PLease help me.

I have already uninstall and reinstall itunes multiple times in my PC.

Windows 10, 64-bit, Lenovo IdeaPad

I'd appreciate any assistance.

Thank you.

iPod classic, Other OS, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 7, 2015 11:24 AM

18 replies

Sep 10, 2015 11:00 AM in response to khaggardjr

If it's anything like my problem, it's NOT your PC or the windows 10 update, otherwise I wouldn't have been ale to sync a 80Gig Ipod with 75% of my iTunes Library (I filled it completely and had no problems); it's gotta be the 160Gig Ipod in question that is screwy. On the other hand, why would it have no problem syncing someone else's library with over 7000 songs on a Mac? I can only think that give that they are both Mac products, there is some technical advantage they share that helps "negate" the problem altogether.

Sep 10, 2015 11:19 AM in response to Faos17

Faos17 wrote:

I don't have Norton, I have AVG, should I try your suggestion with AVG?

Thank you for your input.

It can't hurt to try, but I'm not so far aware of any particular problems with AVG.

Press the WinLooKey+R to open a run dialog, type in services.msc then press enter/return. Check to make sure that the iPod service is running.

tt2

Sep 14, 2015 1:38 PM in response to 2266marco

It has hard to be patient when one has over 6000 songs stored (and listens to their music nearly every day). Wow... I am soooo depressed it ain't funny no more. This battle has to come to an end, and I hope to hear of an answer from any Apple Tech Consultant very soon. It's been about two hours since I've posted my issue. I also have a 160 KB classic; and I'm using an XP computer.

Sep 20, 2015 7:08 AM in response to Dreia

Hi,

I'm (somewhat) relieved to see that other people are having the same issue - sorry for you though. It *****.

My ipod Classic 160GB died recently and I replaced it with a new ipod Classic 120GB. I've been trying to upload my 7000 song library for the last 3 days and keep running into the same problem. I've restored factory settings about 25 times by now. I can't get past 700 files. I've tried syncing the entire library and by now even upload it album by album to reduce the amount of files that are going up at a time by recommendation of another thread. Btw, my library is sitting on a MacBook (so it's not a PC issue either),

Any updates anyone?

thanks so much!

PMC

Oct 7, 2015 11:23 AM in response to 2266marco

Oh man... I'm so sorry to hear that.

Music is everything to me. I dunno what I'd do.

Freaking Mac...

As I suspected, I imported my entire library to a mac, synced with Ipod that gave problems in PC, and guess what? It synced with no problem, all 19000+ songs. I'd be willing to ignore the whole thing if most of my playlists were lost -or a lot of the songs that were supposed to be in certain playlists are not there anymore but do exist and play in overall library.

WHAT THE ****!?

Oct 7, 2015 11:28 AM in response to khaggardjr

Might be our only choice.... I imported my whole library to a Mac, and even though the playlists and the songs that are supposed to be in them were not copied correctly, ALL 19000+ songs were synced without a fuss. Then again, as I said, I can't listen to what I want to listen unless I go looking for a song one by one since the playlists were not imported correctly to both the itunes media folder in the Mac and in the faulty Ipod...

Any updates from your end?

Ipod Classic 160gb won't sync, error -50, prompts system restore to factory settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.