Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 13" Retina 2015 GETS REALLY HOT?

So I recently bought a macbook pro for my graphics course at uni. I went with the 13 inch version as I am travelling to uni each time so decided it needed to be portable. The screen wasn't really a issue as I can connect it up to a bigger monitor. But holy crap does it get hot. Even when I first used it I was only doing very basic things like browsing the web while listening to Spotify. Just basic stuff really, but even then it gets really warm, warmer than any other laptop I've ever had from doing basic stuff like this.

Fair enough I can understand it when I'm doing design work on photoshop or rendering something, I can see how it can get quite hot. But I really am confused as to why it gets quite hot from not doing much sometimes? It still gets warm from watching some videos on

I usually use it at a desk so it should get plenty of air flow, I have used it on my lap or bed a few times but it started getting really warm so I put it back on the desk.

Any help is appreciated :/

Cheers.

(However as I'm writing this it is pretty cool.. for once).

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 7, 2015 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2015 12:22 PM

Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan acti…

Mavericks and later

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the View menu. Click on the CPU tab in the toolbar. Click twice on the %CPU column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of %CPU, then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2015 12:22 PM in response to Tom733

Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan acti…

Mavericks and later

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the View menu. Click on the CPU tab in the toolbar. Click twice on the %CPU column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of %CPU, then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

Macbook Pro 13" Retina 2015 GETS REALLY HOT?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.