Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot Admin name and pswd

I have a Macbook Pro (Mt Lion) and I cannot remember my admin user name or password. Tried until I'm tired. Re-installed OS, but that didn't change anything. Does anyone know how I can find out my admin name and pswd? I'm able to use my short name and pswd to log on, and thought that was my admin name and pswd until I tried to made admin changes recently.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), iOS 8.1

Posted on Sep 7, 2015 12:27 PM

4 replies

Sep 7, 2015 12:30 PM in response to georgefrombrad

Restart the MBP holding the Command and R keys, then from the Utilities drop down menu choose Terminal. When the Terminal window opens, type EXACTLY:

resetpassword

and press Enter.

When the Reset Password window opens, highlight the internal drive, then find the user that is the admin user and choose that user. Type a new password twice (you cannot retrieve the old password). Then Save. Accept the next dialog window that opens, and then lower right of the Reset Password window agree to resetting the home folder permissions.

Then go to the apple left side of the menu bar, Restart.

Sep 7, 2015 12:33 PM in response to georgefrombrad

Open the /Users/ folder. The name under the Home folder is your username.

Forgot Your Account Password

For Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the upward pointing arrow button.

When the menubar appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu.

Enter resetpassword at the prompt and press RETURN. Follow

instructions in the dialog window that will appear.

Or see:

Reset a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Password

OS X Mountain Lion- Reset a login password,

OS X Mavericks- Solve password problems,

OS X Lion- Apple ID can be used to reset your user account password.

Forgot Admin name and pswd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.