Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

strange pop up, out of nowhere, can't stop it

This morning, a pop up appeared in the exact cente of my monitor. it is a blue square, titled Contrast/Brightness, shows what looks to be adjustment bars that blink back and forth. I tried restarting, starting up from a different start up disk, tried starting from CD, and it always is the first thing to appear on the screen. I dont click on unknown email atachments, or download **** etc, so I am surprised to see this. I do however hook up my Android phone to my mac as well as a non-ipod mp3 player.

I am currently running sophos to find malware. Avast found nothing. It may be messing with my intenet connection too, as i am getting err connection errors,but i won' be sure until sophos finishes scanning and i can reset the modem.

in the meantime, the stupid blue window is there blinking, and just about is causing me to have a seizure.... I googled this issue, found absolutely nothing about it. I hope someone heer can help me!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 7, 2015 5:17 PM

13 replies

Sep 7, 2015 7:01 PM in response to Marigold

The problem also seems to involve the internet. I am unable to connect to the internet from this desktop since the pop up appeared.

I checked with my service provider - problem is not with them.

IS THIS A VIRUS???? Pop up and loss of internet connectivity happened at same time....

What do I do????

Is this the correct forum for this questions?

Sep 7, 2015 7:56 PM in response to Allan Eckert

The problem began BEFORE any antivirus apps. Telling me not to use them is as useful advice as telling me to be kind to animals and to brush my teeth 3 times a day.

Thank you for advising me to not waste time with stupid virus programs, but it sure would be sweet if you could help me begin to solve my actual problem!

Thanks so much. If you can think of something to actually fix this serious problem,or any way to approach it, please do let me know.

Sep 7, 2015 8:21 PM in response to Marigold

Uninstall "Sophos", uninstall "Avast", and confirm their permanent and irrevocable eradication from your Mac. Only then will you be in position to begin troubleshooting. Read below.

Uninstall Sophos by launching the Remove Sophos Anti-Virus program, installed in /Applications.

Uninstall Avast by launching the Uninstaller included with its downloaded installation program.

Sep 8, 2015 6:00 AM in response to John Galt

It is NOT an actual display interface!!!!! I KNOW what a display interface looks like and how to access it, how to operate it, and how to make it disappear.

THIS IS NOT A DISPLAY INTERFACE! It is some kind of blinking animation. The actual brightness contrast interface doesn't look anything like this!'' When i plug in a different monitor, it still appears! IT IS IN THE MAC.

strange pop up, out of nowhere, can't stop it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.