Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Subtle movement inside of my MacBook pro

Yesterday as I was sitting on my couch doing some homework I noticed something extremely concerning about my 13" MacBook Pro (Early 2015). I had leaned forward to grab a glass off of my coffee table and while doing so I lifted my MacBook up with my right hand and tilted it to the side so as not to lean into the screen. As soon as I had done that I felt a small shift of the components on the inside. Now, before I continues I should mention that this movement that I was feeling was very, very small. If I had to guess the distance I would say that whatever was moving was going no further than a millimeter or two in either direction. I turned off the computer and closed the lid, then teetered it to the left and right to see if I could sense the movement some more. I had not ever dropped my MacBook and if I had I wouldn't be as surprised as I was. So I immediately Googled what I was experiencing, hoping that others have had this issue but came up with nothing, so I made an appointment to meet with a technician at my local Apple Store.

When my time to meet with one of the Geniuses I had no idea what to expect. As I introduced myself along with my problem, John(what I'll call him), had never heard of my particular problem either. I told him to do as I did and tilt it back fourth and try to see if he could feel anything, he couldn't. So John told me that he would take it to the back and have a look inside. After about 10 minutes of waiting, John came back to the front and confirmed my fears, there was in fact something moving around on the inside. As it turned out, it was the battery that was moving. My guess as to how this happened wouldn't be any better than yours. My best guess would be to say that it was a manufacturing defect, but as to how many units have been effected by this is anyones guess.

He gave me a few options, and since I bough this MacBook just over a month ago (July 30th, 2015), I asked for a replacement, because why not? So I went home, backed up all of my data onto a external drive and then returned to the store to have pick up the replacement.

I wanted to share this with you all, here, so if anyone else runs into this problem, they can have a littler reference as to what could possibly be happening.

TL;DR: I noticed something shifting around inside my 2015 13" MacBook Pro. I took it to the Apple Store and was told that it was the battery moving around. I got a new Mac. I'm Happy. Still love Apple.

Message was edited by: Matthew May Spelling and grammer.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Early 2015

Posted on Sep 7, 2015 10:09 PM

There are no replies.

Subtle movement inside of my MacBook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.