Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro 6.1 memory in 5.1

Hi All,

I'm seeing a lot of memory available on ebay due MacPro 6.1 memory upgrades. It's the original memory installed in the MacPro 6.1: Hynix PC3-14900E 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM.

Is it possible to use this memory in a MacPro 5.1 (8 core, 2.4 GHz)?

Regards,

Rolf

Mac Pro, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 8, 2015 3:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2015 7:48 AM

The RAM from the late 2103 Mac Pro would be DDR3 ECC 1.5 Volt, running at 1866 MHz

The RAM from the Mac Pro 2012 would be DDR3 ECC 1.5 Volt running at 1333MHz

The RAM from the Mac Pro 2009 would be DDR3 ECC 1.5 Volt running at 1066MHz

>> IF and only if the RAM could step down correctly to run at slower speeds, you could use Mac Pro 2103 RAM in an earlier Mac Pro (2009 through 2012).

It is a compatible type, DDR3, and the key on the RAM slot would accept it, and it would do no damage (provided you did not use a Hammer during installation) but it may or may not work. The manufacturer must have taken steps to assure that the faster RAM would also run at slower speeds with the appropriate slower timing.

None of this would work in older 2006-2008 models that require matched pairs FBDIMMs, a different type with a different key in the memory slot.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2015 7:48 AM in response to lllaass

The RAM from the late 2103 Mac Pro would be DDR3 ECC 1.5 Volt, running at 1866 MHz

The RAM from the Mac Pro 2012 would be DDR3 ECC 1.5 Volt running at 1333MHz

The RAM from the Mac Pro 2009 would be DDR3 ECC 1.5 Volt running at 1066MHz

>> IF and only if the RAM could step down correctly to run at slower speeds, you could use Mac Pro 2103 RAM in an earlier Mac Pro (2009 through 2012).

It is a compatible type, DDR3, and the key on the RAM slot would accept it, and it would do no damage (provided you did not use a Hammer during installation) but it may or may not work. The manufacturer must have taken steps to assure that the faster RAM would also run at slower speeds with the appropriate slower timing.

None of this would work in older 2006-2008 models that require matched pairs FBDIMMs, a different type with a different key in the memory slot.

Sep 8, 2015 2:45 PM in response to RolfNoot

The number of pins, voltage and DDR3 designation looks to be compatible.

There are lots of sad stories here on the forums about folks who bought RAM that appeared to be different from their original RAM in ONLY that the clock speed was faster. They plugged it into their Mac, and ...

... discovered it did not work, because it could not shift down properly to run at the slower speed. Now they own some very fine modules that work great -- but do not happen to work in their Mac.

Once you get close to 8GB modules, you run the risk of encountering different chip organization and registered vs. unregistered problems.

If you had some modules that "fell on you", you could certainly try them. But pay money for stuff that was not sure to work, and is generally not returnable easily? That is not to my liking.

Sep 9, 2015 8:03 AM in response to RolfNoot

Check that processor on Intel Ark page for what memory it can support, if it is 56xx series I would give it more of a chance if the firmware code of the DIMMs and SMC can talk to each other. It is up to the processor in large part and the processor daughter tray I would think.

I think, I have read, of people (trying) to use even 1600MHz instead of 1333MHz DDR3 in a cMP.

MacPro 6.1 memory in 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.