Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removed self as admin but did not set new password

Hello, I have a Macbook Pro (an older version) but all of the up to date software as of Sept 8. I'm giving my younger brother this computer and getting a new one, so I set up a new account on the computer for him. However, I did not set a password because I was going to let him do that. It prompted me to say this was ok and I did. However, since he is now the admin and I made my own account a standard one, I can not make any changes in preferences because it asks for the admin's password before "unlocking." What would his password be if I did not set one? It is not the one from my account.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), Preference App

Posted on Sep 8, 2015 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2015 8:45 AM

If you didn't set one the password should be empty. Are you entering his username when prompted to escalate to admin privileges. Use his 'short name', it is the same as his home folder name, open /Users to see that (The Finders 'Go menu > Go to folder…' will open that for you).

1 reply

Removed self as admin but did not set new password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.