Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older Mac Pro (1,1 from 2008) incompatible with newer DVD drives?

I have an older Mac Pro (1,1 from 2008) with a dead DVD drive. I've tried attaching several new externals, but none are recognized. Is the computer incompatible with newer DVD drives?

Mac Pro (Early 2009), iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 8, 2015 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2015 12:51 PM

What external ones did you try? Where they powered by the USB bus? Those do not always work since the USB ports on old computers do not supply enough power with a single USB port..

4 replies

Sep 10, 2015 12:52 PM in response to William Salit

yes, what IIIaas said. older computers may not give you enough "juice" to get the job done, especially plugged into a hub, keyboard, etc. Also Apple's external dvd drive meant for the Macbook Air etc, will Not work with a mac pro---without a hack (which I can't remember at the moment). if memory serves me, those dvd drives are ATAPI/IDE, which are getting pretty hard to find. However, you can replace them yourself, which I know is off-topic. You can buy a sata dvd drive, plus an atapi/sata bridge which fits onto the back of the dvd drive itself, and then install the whole thing into your Mac Pro. all you'd need is a small Phillips screwdriver and a little time

oh well

John b

Sep 9, 2015 9:34 AM in response to Johnb-one

Johnb-one--

Your response above contains some excellent and on-point information. But it jumbles two topics. Separate paragraphs should be used to separate the two topics.

External drives with a USB interface should be discussed in the first paragraph, and Internal drives with an IDE/ATA interface should get its own paragraph.

A paragraph generally starts with a topic sentence. Every following sentence supports the topic. When a new thought occurs that does not support the original Topic sentence, it gets its own paragraph, and sentences that support the new topic.

Older Mac Pro (1,1 from 2008) incompatible with newer DVD drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.