Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I find apps for old ipods touch (4.2.1)?

Apple must be kidding us...How on earth can´t I find apps for my older version of iPod touch (4.2.1)? What should I do? Throw it away? Simply ridiculous!!!

iPod touch, iOS 4.2

Posted on Sep 8, 2015 12:36 PM

4 replies

Sep 8, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Dybento

See Kappy's chart to see if your model can be updated…

how do i upgrade my ipod touch 4.2.1 to a higher level plz help

You can try using a 'google hack' to search the store for compatible apps if you are stuck on 4. Enter this next line into google.com's search field.

site:itunes.apple.com/us/ "requires ios 2.0|2.1|2.2|3.0|3.1|3.2|4.0|4.1|4.2"

Older devices are limited in terms of CPU, RAM & sensors, so many newer apps will not work.

Post feedback to Apple suggesting how they could improve the store (they could add filtering by iOS version for a start).

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Sep 8, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Dybento

To more easily find compatible apps:

iOSSearch - search the iTunes store for compatible apps.

Apple Club - filter apps by iOS version.

Starting when iOS 7 was released, Apple now allows downloading the last compatible version of some apps (iOS 4.2.1 and later only)

App Store: Downloading Older Versions of Apps on iOS - Apple Club

App Store: Install the latest compatible version of an app

You first have to download the non-compatible version on your computer. Then when you try to purchase the version on your iPod you will be offered a compatible version if one exists.

'Last Compatible' Version of Apps for Users Running Legacy Versions of iOS - Mac Rumors

How can I find apps for old ipods touch (4.2.1)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.