Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password Change Dialog - Legitimate or Malware?

A few days ago, my iPhone prompted me to change my passcode. I was doing something (messages I think?) and a dialog appeared saying that I must change my passcode within 60 minutes. It gave me the options of Later and Continue. Not knowing what it was, I hit continue. It asked for my current password, then prompted me twice for a new one. The keyboard it presented was a full keyboard - not the usual 1-0 numeric one. I went ahead and gave it a new generic one then changed it back.

Anyone know why it did this? Some other discussions pointed to Profiles - but I'm a high school student who has no Enterprise accounts or MDM profiles. The only Profile I have installed is a beta testing profile for iOS 9. Nobody else I know with the Beta had this prompt.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm on the lasted iOS 9 beta so it's not a jailbreak or unlock issue..

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4.1, running iOS 9 PB

Posted on Sep 8, 2015 12:45 PM

8 replies

Sep 21, 2015 6:54 AM in response to skmadigan12

For your 8.4.1 iPad, this is a phishing attack. Try resetting Safari. Close Safari completely from the multitasking window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Safari preview pane until it disappears from the screen. You may have to look for the Safari pane by scrawling to the left as there may be other panes there from other apps. Then go to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything.

Hope you did not type your real PW, if you did change it ASAP.

Sep 21, 2015 7:13 AM in response to Jw Holmes

Try resetting Safari. Close Safari completely from the multitasking window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Safari preview pane until it disappears from the screen. You may have to look for the Safari pane by scrawling to the left as there may be other panes there from other apps. Then go to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything.

Sep 21, 2015 7:17 AM in response to Jw Holmes

I didn't say 'if you have a corporate phone'. I said "If you have a corporate Exchange account set up on your phone". If you don't have your business email, or another Exchange email account set up on the phone, then Exchange policies are not the cause.

The policies can be enforced on your "personal phone" if you have set up your work email account on it.

Password Change Dialog - Legitimate or Malware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.