Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How convert RTF files to Pages

Can RTF files be converted to Pages?

iMac, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Sep 8, 2015 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2015 2:33 PM

There is no direct RTF to Pages conversion. You can open an RTF document in either of Pages '08, or '09, and the process of opening it will translate it into a Pages document. No release of Pages v5 will open RTF documents. You can also open your RTF document in MS Word first, and then save it as a Word doc or docx document, which all versions of Pages will open, and inherently translate into Pages document format.

One can try to open the RTF document in TextEdit, and then save as a Word .doc, or .docx format document. An RTF document saved from LibreOffice v5 has multiple frames, with each frame containing a table — will open in TextEdit as a blank document (tested).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2015 2:33 PM in response to pronewbie

There is no direct RTF to Pages conversion. You can open an RTF document in either of Pages '08, or '09, and the process of opening it will translate it into a Pages document. No release of Pages v5 will open RTF documents. You can also open your RTF document in MS Word first, and then save it as a Word doc or docx document, which all versions of Pages will open, and inherently translate into Pages document format.

One can try to open the RTF document in TextEdit, and then save as a Word .doc, or .docx format document. An RTF document saved from LibreOffice v5 has multiple frames, with each frame containing a table — will open in TextEdit as a blank document (tested).

Sep 9, 2015 3:00 PM in response to pronewbie

Somebody recently emailed me a lengthy RTF document. As I recall, when I double-clicked on the file, it opened in TextEdit by default. After that, I did a "select all" (click in document, Command-A) and then pasted the contents into an empty, blank-page Pages 5 document. From what I could tell, all the formatting was preserved. At any rate the process was pretty straightforward.

How convert RTF files to Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.