Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will Safari support Youtube's 360 degree VR playback?

Google has recently rolled out the ability to upload and playback spherical format videos produced by a range of VR cameras like the Ricoh, Kodak, Giroptic, etc. Keyboard and mouse movements allow the screen to be panned around a cylindrical or spherical field of view in real time while the video is playing or paused.

However, while these videos play fantastically within Chrome, they fail to play in their surround format within Safari.

Do we need an update to Safari, an extension, a plugin or what to make these render correctly?

Or am I missing this simply because I haven't upgraded to Yosemite/El Cap yet?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), iMac8,1, Macmini1,1, MacBookAir3,1 Dell Mini9 H'tosh, Aperture 3

Posted on Sep 8, 2015 3:28 PM

11 replies

Nov 13, 2015 2:07 AM in response to polishedstaple

Safari is terribly slow in reading pixel information from a video (and that's needed for 360 video) and youtube decided to not show the 360 video at all instead of showing it with 10 frames per second. I think it has to do with the Javascript engine. Safari is being left behind for all the <canvas> wizardry that is going on lately, I hope they will roll out a decent update soon.

Aug 1, 2016 2:05 PM in response to Steve Hoge

Safari 7 and 9 support 360 video, so it will be nice once the youtube html or false plugin will start.

View 360 video in safari : www.entervrworld.com you will see the youtube sample and below that you will see the unity player which works in Safari.

It is always best to have the latest browser. You need to do this by updating OS X to the latest. (version 9)

When will Safari support Youtube's 360 degree VR playback?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.