Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App store says not enough disk space to update application

So I ihave Batman: Arkham Asylum I downloaded from the Mac App Store. There is an update for it.

The game itself takes up about 10GB on my disk drive. I have over 50GB free space. For some reason the App Store says this:

User uploaded file

Anyone have any ideas?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), iPhone 6

Posted on Sep 9, 2015 12:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2015 9:39 AM

First, the App Store will not allow a download that, when expanded, would leave less than the minimum amount of available space on the startup volume that Apple considers necessary, which is about 9 GB. The download is a compressed archive that will usually expand to about twice its size. Both the archive and the expanded files will be present at the same time, so the actual amount of space needed is about three times the size of the archive.

If you're trying to add a large amount of data all at once, and you get an alert of insufficient space, then from the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Time Machine

If there is a closed padlock icon in the lower left corner of the preference pane, click it to unlock the settings and authenticate. Turn Time Machine OFF, then back ON. Close the window.

Restart the computer. Test.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2015 9:39 AM in response to kjb

First, the App Store will not allow a download that, when expanded, would leave less than the minimum amount of available space on the startup volume that Apple considers necessary, which is about 9 GB. The download is a compressed archive that will usually expand to about twice its size. Both the archive and the expanded files will be present at the same time, so the actual amount of space needed is about three times the size of the archive.

If you're trying to add a large amount of data all at once, and you get an alert of insufficient space, then from the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Time Machine

If there is a closed padlock icon in the lower left corner of the preference pane, click it to unlock the settings and authenticate. Turn Time Machine OFF, then back ON. Close the window.

Restart the computer. Test.

App store says not enough disk space to update application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.