Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suggestion: Improved "Accidental Trackpad Input"

I never had a problem with the trackpad on my PowerBook G3/Firewire, but when I got the 15" PowerBook G4 (hi-res), text editing became extremely frustrating.

I like using the trackpad tapping for clicking, so I have that enabled, but the new trackpad is just too close to my hands when I type, so I get "accidental taps" all over the place while typing.

Of course the OS has the "ignore accidental trackpad input" setting and enabling it has saved my sanity as far as text editing is concerned. Unfortunately I find that it does a little bit too much, in that it pretty much ignores the trackpad as long as you are typing.

I found the SideTrack trackpad driver and tried it for a few minutes. Setting the top left and right corners to do nothing on taps proved to be a perfect solution for ignoring accidental taps in those areas. The only downside to this trackpad driver is that it doesn't know how to do two-finger scrolling, which I have come to like very much. The author of SideTrack is investigating the possibility of implementing two-finger scrolling and I would love to pay the shareware fee once that feature is also working.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if it would be possible for Apple to implement something like "ignore the top left and right corners of the trackpad for tapping" option in the standard driver?

PowerBook G4/15DL, G3/FW, PM G4/500, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Nov 5, 2006 6:15 AM

There are no replies.

Suggestion: Improved "Accidental Trackpad Input"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.