Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my powerbook G4 doesn't chime when I switch it on - Why?

I recently bought a powerbook G4 from an online auction site. The machine was meant to be in excellent working condition & I wanted it mainly to play old games on that I can't bear to part with. When I switched it on, it didn't make the usual characteristic apple 'chime' which puzzled me, though it did work. Then when I installed my games, there was no sound within the short movies inside the games, though the sound works for other things. I've checked up the software & installed 'Tiger' OS X 4.11 with classic support in order to play the games without a problem. The seller suggested I reset the P ram but this hasn't made any difference at all. I don't know what it can be that's wrong. Can anyone help?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4 15 inch

Posted on Sep 9, 2015 11:36 AM

13 replies

Sep 9, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Jane Elizabeth Smith

Jane Elizabeth Smith wrote:

I recently bought a powerbook G4 from an online auction site. The machine was meant to be in excellent working condition & I wanted it mainly to play old games on that I can't bear to part with. When I switched it on, it didn't make the usual characteristic apple 'chime' which puzzled me, though it did work. Then when I installed my games, there was no sound within the short movies inside the games, though the sound works for other things. I've checked up the software & installed 'Tiger' OS X 4.11 with classic support in order to play the games without a problem. The seller suggested I reset the P ram but this hasn't made any difference at all. I don't know what it can be that's wrong. Can anyone help?

• no Startup chime
  • with no startup chime, how are you judging whether or not you have successfully reset the PRAM? (it is that audible clue - the 2nd chime that let's you know)
  • no sound in embedded QT movies of game(s)
  • the sound works for other things

This last tells you that it is not the sound card OR speakers OR your Mac 'thinking' there is headphones connected

What exactly do you mean by " ... I've checked up the software & installed 'Tiger' OS X 4.11 ..." ??

Let's start over... [this is a cookie cutter reply, so pardon the simplicity] - details are what makes a good Story

Tell us a Story - with a beginning, a middle and end. We need to understand everything that you know and have experienced.

If this issue is new, tell us what immediately preceded its onset - add software, upgrade or update? New equipment?

Quoted from  Apple's "How to write a good question"

To help other members answer your question, give as many details as you can.

• Include your product name and specs such as processor speed, memory, and storage capacity. Please do not include your Serial Number, IMEI, MEID, or other personal information.
  • Provide the version numbers of your operating system and relevant applications, for example "iOS 6.0.3" or "iPhoto 9.1.2".
  • Describe the problem, and include any details about what seems to cause it.
  • List any troubleshooting steps you've already tried, or temporary fixes you've discovered.

For a detailed "coaching", please see the User Tip > "Help us to help you on these forums"<https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5431>

"Keep It Short and Simple" - Take your time... but be thorough - ÇÇÇ

Sep 26, 2015 5:07 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Thank you so much for replying. It appears I still need help!

Does POST stand for something? If its a hardware problem is it worth trying to find a part and mend it? I'm sorry I've no experience of sorting out hardware problems with laptops. I'm gutted I've been sold a dud. I just want the thing to work properly!! As a single damsel in distress with no handy knowledgable people around who know anything about apple macs, I do need a friendly hint and help with this issue.

Sep 26, 2015 7:04 AM in response to Jane Elizabeth Smith

Howdy Jane

Allow me to answer for our friend Allan in regard to POST = Power On Startup Test

Additionally, I think what he is saying is there is no way to remotely diagnose what may be wrong.

Since there seems to be no way to return your Mac, the next step will be to get it diagnosed professionally - hands on.

Go here > Apple - Find Locations - U.S. - and find an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) near you (I think an Apple Store may not choose to service an old Powerbook, but it may be worth a phone call to find out)

best luck and let us know

ÇÇÇ

Sep 26, 2015 7:16 AM in response to Jane Elizabeth Smith

One further thing...

You say you reset the PRAM, and I asked "How do you know?" To be sure, since there is no audible cue, perform the key combo until you are certain the reset happens by allowing it to do the cycle 3 or more times (this should be 'visibly' detectable)

After that, test all that you normally do as reported in your first post - then let us know

Oct 4, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Martin Svika

Thanks for your comments Martin. I haven't ever tried opening up a laptop so might have a bit of difficulty locating the ram on it. I do have an old macbook which has stopped displaying anything - I think something must've gone wrong with the graphics card perhaps. It was displaying odd colours & then couldn't show the desktop properly at all before only showing a blue screen. As I can't work with it any more, the only thing I can do is to take out the hard drive to destroy it since I can't wipe the data off it in the usual way. I am sad it went like this and I feel this \G4 was not packed properly by the seller I bought it from and the damage must've occurred in transit. All I wanted was a working machine that had classic support on it so I could play my old games on it. Now I have two old machines that don't work!! I'm gutted.😢

Oct 4, 2015 2:45 PM in response to Jane Elizabeth Smith

Howdy (again) Jane

If I were you, I would load up my Macs after finding an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) near you and have them give them a good professional look - should be low cost to estimate repair/replacement.

Start here > Apple - Find Locations - Country Selector - [Premium] is like the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval from Apple.

If you want to crack them open, let us know & we can offer advice on (1) identifying your exact models and (2) a place to find very good How To instructions

my powerbook G4 doesn't chime when I switch it on - Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.