Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ogg vorbis format in Safari

All of a sudden I can play the Ogg formatted files on Wikipedia while using Safari. Anybody know when this happened?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), iMac14,2

Posted on Sep 9, 2015 4:44 PM

1 reply

Oct 4, 2015 10:15 AM in response to lkrupp

I've just discovered that, and put it down to Safari 9 or El Capitan – but you must have been running Safari 8.x at the time. Very useful, though I don't know when the change happened.

And apparently it doesn't mean that Safari can now play .ogg files in general. For instance, in contrast to Firefox, dropping an .ogg file into a Safari window doesn't work. This audio test site http://hpr.dogphilosophy.net/test/ is similarly negative, and on Wikipedia it doesn't work for stand-along .ogg files such as the pronunciation guides found at the top of many articles. It does work in Wikipedia wherever player controls are shown.

So I think Wikipedia must be doing something clever. I had a look at their HTML but it's too much for me. Can anyone enlighten us?

ogg vorbis format in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.