Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need to search Time Machine iDVD

I need to make a DVD of Photos for a funeral. I know how to make a slideshow in PHOTOS but to burn them to disc to play in DVD player I think I need iDVD which is somewhere in my TIME MACHINE since going YOSEMITE,

So, if I can restore iDVD I think I can remember how to make a memorial DVD but don't know where or when in Time Machine it is located, hence the question, IS THERE A WAY TO SEARCH FOR iDVD in my Time Machine.

thank you,

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), PHOTOS, Garageband 10.1.0 Mac Mail

Posted on Sep 9, 2015 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2015 6:34 PM

It'll be in the Applications folder. If you need to search for it, use the Finder's search field.

(133082)

14 replies

Sep 10, 2015 8:19 AM in response to jojoguitar

If you find that there are no themes in iDVD you'll need to restore the iDVD folder that resided in the Mac HD/Library/Application Support folder.

User uploaded file

This must be done from within Time Machine. Go to the Mac HD/Liblrary/Application Support folder and then enter Time Machine via the TM menu:
User uploaded file

Go back in time until there's an iDVD folder, select it and restore it. Do not try to restore it via the Finder.
User uploaded file

Sep 10, 2015 8:43 AM in response to Old Toad

Hey OT, sure enough I went to begin and as you said, no themes.

I am reading you instructions,

go to this on my Mac as in Finder>Go>Library>Application support and I see an empty folder for iDVD,

is THIS what I select and then enter TM form the menu?

I went to the date that restored iDVD (1/13/2015), however I need a little clarity please, I selected App support from the finder on my Mac then went into TM but as I scrolled to the App Support in TM the folder was empty.

Your help is greatly appreciated, still, I'm not doing something correct: I will try this one more time at a later time, Go to the Mac HD/Liblrary/Application Support folder and then enter Time Machine via the TM menu:

it's 10:42 CST, must run, till later thanks again.

jojo

Sep 10, 2015 1:51 PM in response to Old Toad

Hello, back at it for a while,

I went in TM to Jan 13, 2015

That looks like the iDVD folder in your Home library folder. Is that correct?

that screen shot is from TM, Jan 13, 2015

user ME, Joe Juliano app support and the iDVD folder, as you stated/see, is empty.

How did you originally install iDVD on your Mac?

I installed from the iLife Disk, which is AWOL.

Let me remind myself what I am doing, I need to make a memorial DVD from photos in PHOTO, formerly iPhoto.

I am going to go back farther in TM and look LIbrary/Application Support,

You stated Users/Home/LIbrary/Application Support, are you referring to that in TM? at some earlier date because there is only that empty iDVD folder here on my MBP now.

I just went back to 10/29/12, Library Application support, the farthest back date available and nothing in the iDVD Folder, I did use the Enter Time Machine option, I selected the only user on the finder side bar.

So, a big sigh on my part and is did see some where in my app's according to date the iDVD was installed in 2011, the year I got my Mac.

I can't thank you enough for you assistance but it seems as though the missing iLife disk is the key but it is gone and I have no explanation.

I will need to find another way to get the job done. Maybe iMove can make a DVD out of photos, I'm stumped but grateful Old Toad.

jojoguitar

mn_usa

Sep 10, 2015 2:00 PM in response to jojoguitar

On looking found this

How to create a video-DVD? (Macs without iDVD)

I have the MacBookPro install DVD, as well as the MacBookPro Mac OS X install DVD

I inserted the Applications DVD but the iLife group was not there

How dangerous would it be, (screw up my OS 10.10.5) to attempt to find iDVD with the MacBookPro Mac OS X install DVD: that makes me think once it gets going I might cause irreparable/ situation.

your opinion?

Sep 10, 2015 2:55 PM in response to jojoguitar

There are other apps that can create a video DVD. Go to the App Store and search for DVD. They will not be as sophisticated as iDVD but can burn a basic video DVD.

What every app you decide to use follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

Most of the other apps I've tested have the capability of saving to a disk image.

If you already have Toast it can create and burn a video DVD.

Of course you can always purchase another copy of of the iLIfe 09 disk and reinstall iDVD in a custom install. Why iLife 09? Because that's the only way to get all of the themes available for iDVD, from V1 thru V7. This would be a more expensive route to take over using another app.

Sep 10, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Old Toad

There are other apps that can create a video DVD. Go to the App Store and search for DVD. They will not be as sophisticated as iDVD but can burn a basic video DVD.

To create a dvd, and then burn, ah ha! sophisticated is less important to me than usability, and making it as easy as possible.

Toast has been mentioned many time is things I've read.

Also, on Amazon there is

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC623Z-A-iLife-VERSION/dp/B003XKRZES/ref=pd_bxgy_65_ text_z

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB966Z-A-iLife-VERSION/dp/B0014X5XEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U TF8&qid=1441920784&sr=8-1&keywords=Apple…

Instructions and documentation and the help you offered above (copied, pasted, saved) are really important to me,

Seems like a bit of over buy to get what I need, but at this point and time is running....

I will check app store.

thanks again,

Sep 10, 2015 3:09 PM in response to jojoguitar

I agree that those two iLife disks are a bit expensive.

There are several free video DVD apps in the app store. 1-Click DVD Creator, Free-DVD-Creator, DVD Maker Pro - Video Photo Burn LIte, DVD Creator = Menu Video Play Mode Lite, DVD Creator Tool Burn Video and DVD Creator Lite. And there are many, many more from about $6 to $20 to choose from.

You can try all of the free ones to see if one works better for you than the other.

need to search Time Machine iDVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.