Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX 7.5 All of a sudden I'm freezing and getting a dark square with the instruction in 5 different languages to emergency shutdown by pushing and holding the main button on my Power Mac tower and then restart. This is happening with great frequency..

Mac Pro, Duel Core Intel; OSX 7.5.6; Had it scanned by Apple dealer for ugly viruses 2 weeks ago and it was cleared. Last three days screen is freezing and I'm getting a square dark box with instructions in 5 different languages telling me I have to do an emergency shut down and restart. This is happening at least every 30 minutes. And now the restart just gives me a bland screen and I have to perform the process at least 2 or 3 times before I'm up and running. Help?!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 9, 2015 9:00 PM

2 replies

Sep 10, 2015 6:23 AM in response to rjpix

As Klaus1 points out, these are kernel panics.

They could be caused by hardware or software.

From a hardware perspective:

Do you have 3rd party RAM? A common source of kernel panics.

In 2nd place Broken USB devices and/or a broken USB cable (can include keyboards, mice, external USB disks, etc...)

There are some Mac models that have hand graphics hardware problems.

From a software perspective, 3rd party kernel extensions, such as anti-virus packages.

I you could post a few of the kernel panics, that might help identify the problem (might not, but it can't hurt)

<http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2546>

You might also make another post with the EtreCheck output that will give 3rd party software information about your system.

<https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6174>

OSX 7.5 All of a sudden I'm freezing and getting a dark square with the instruction in 5 different languages to emergency shutdown by pushing and holding the main button on my Power Mac tower and then restart. This is happening with great frequency..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.