Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new scatter chart won't plot

I made a Scatter Chart 2D In Numbers. I thought i was all set but when I started inserting values nothing happened. the CHART wont plot.

I clicked on EDIT DATA PREFERENCES thinking the problem was there. the cursor changed to the EDIT BARS and down at the bottom I made sure to (PLOT COLUMNS AS SERIES) was selected to the right of that was a request to ( Select Cells In Any Table To Add To "Daily Values"). That's Where I Can't Go Any Further.

I'm Not Allowed To Select The Cells. Don't Know Where To Go From Here

Imac 3.06 GHz intel Core 2 Duo,NICKMacBook_13inch_Aluminum_Late2008, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 4gb ram

Posted on Sep 9, 2015 8:28 PM

8 replies

Sep 9, 2015 11:05 PM in response to Nick Savas

Hi Nick,

I'm not sure what is meant by "Edit Bars" in a Scatter Chart.

Please post a screen shot of your table. If the table is large, just the top few rows will do.

Please post a screen shot of your Scatter Chart.

Full screen shots (command shift 3) are often difficult to read.

Wayne Contello has written a User Tip on how to post a screen shot.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6591

Regards,

Ian.

Sep 10, 2015 7:31 AM in response to Nick Savas

Hi Nick,

For a Scatter Chart:

User uploaded file

the X and Y labels should be in a Header Row.

X and Y values should be in Body Cells (not Header columns)

User uploaded file

Column A looks like a Header Column (grey) but it isn't. Numbers puts a grey fill in when you click on the chart (graph).

To make this follow your example, I clicked on the Scatter Plot, then Format Panel > Axis > Value (X) > Steps > Major 9

User uploaded file

You may need to change that if you are plotting dates as 0-32.

Then Format Panel > Axis > Value (Y)

User uploaded file

Jan 29, 2016 11:15 AM in response to Yellowbox

Dear Yellowbox,

I followed the instructions you posted til Nick Savas but have not been able to populate the scatter chart with values from my table. I even tried Nick's fix of creating a new column and moving his data away from the header. No luck. As I wrote before, I used Numbers quite a bit in 2010-2012. I don't understand why Numbers 09 is giving me such a problem. I select the Scatter chart and select the two columns from my table, but the graph is blank.

Jan 29, 2016 12:52 PM in response to jonelle from stavanger

I found my biggest problem was I didn't select the complete columns ( A&B) before inserting my scatter chart.

1. I Started With A Basic Table

2. I Assigned Each Column The Data I Wanted (Date/Value)

3. I Entered Some Data In Both Columns

4. I Made Sure That Both (A & B Columns) Were Entirely Selected

5. I Then Inserted The Scatter Chart And The Data Was There Automatically

6. I Followed This Procedure Exclusively And Haven't Had A Problem Since

Hope this helps (Make sure both columns are selected)User uploaded file

Feb 9, 2016 12:05 PM in response to Nick Savas

Thanks Nick!

I have made progress. Of all things, wait until you hear this! I had entered my numerical data with decimals instead of commas (2.35 instead of 2,35). This is why the data would not populate. I could not believe my own block-headedness.

Thank you for your time and help. I am certain to return with more questions.

Kind regards

Jonelle

new scatter chart won't plot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.